Are you excited by the opportunity to support the development of a strong co-curricular function for our 38,000 strong community of students at Manchester Met?
Be a part of our Opportunities Team coordinating our society and club committees and supporting any activity, projects and campaigns that ensure belonging, education and career readiness at MMU.
Who are we?
Located in the heart of Manchester, The Union is part business, part charity, part membership body. Operating independently from Manchester Metropolitan University, our aim is to support and represent each one of our student members. Each year our growing team of around 50 full time and up to 100 part time staff, work alongside elected student leaders to make change, improve lives and help fulfil student potential.
Winner of the 2021 Think Student award for the best campaign supporting diversity, The Union is one of 550 students’ unions across the country. And we’re one of the most exciting - with over 38,000 student members and 100 student groups, a huge range of services and a bold strategy.
What’s the job?
Working under the direction of Opportunities Manager, you will coordinate and develop a committee members to be ambitious, inclusive, collaborative and successful.
- You will deliver training, provide coaching and guidance and help them make things happen
- Work closely with elected officers to help them meet their duties in visibility and accountability
- Maintain positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders and partners to maximise learning, exposure and impact
What are we looking for?
- Ability to coach and inspire people to reach their own success
- You will have experience of supporting or supervising volunteers alongside an understanding of HE issues and issues affecting HE students
- You will have excellent verbal and written communication skills and experience organising and delivering events, workshops or training
- You will have excellent organisation, prioritisation and administrative skills and the ability to work to multiple deadlines
There has never been a better time to work for The Union. Based just off Oxford Road, in the centre of vibrant Manchester, The Union will train you thoroughly, reward you well and encourage you to build a long-term career that inspires you.
The exact opposite of corporate, we’re progressive, creative individuals working to make a difference in unconventional workplaces. In return for your passion and experience, we offer the flexibility for work-life balance, a competitive salary for the non-profit sector and excellent holiday allowance. We’re absolutely open to considering requests for job-share or part-time working.
We’re committed to equality of opportunity for all. We welcome applications from individuals regardless of their race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, age, gender, or disability status.
We want to support diverse and inclusive work environments and are actively looking for people who share our values. We particularly welcome BAME applicants.
Apply: To apply please download the application form at www.theunionmmu.org/about-us/jobs
Closing date: Midday on Monday 2nd October 2023
If you’re successfully shortlisted, we’ll see you at an interview during the week commencing 9th October 2023
Work somewhere professional, but different. Build a career with students’ unions.