Who are we?
Part business, part charity, part membership body – students’ unions are all seriously fun places to work.
They are organisations in their own right. Professionally run, but different. Professional teams support Elected student leaders so as they make change, improve lives and fulfil potential, we help make it happen.
The Union of Brunel Students is one of more than 600 students’ unions across the country. And with more than 15,000 members, 150 clubs and societies, a huge range of services and a bold strategy,
we’re one of the most exciting. Our vision is to ensure that every student thrives at Brunel.
What’s the job?
The Union of Brunel Students Advice Service provides high quality, confidential advice to all students of Brunel University.
We advise and assist students with issues such as Academic Matters, Housing issues, Student Funding, and Wellbeing, offering practical advice on all kinds of subjects relating to student life.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the ability to deliver within an effective “triage” environment, engaging on the front line with many students presenting a wide variety of issues.
You will be able to quickly analyse issues presented to you and assess the appropriate response either through internal referral, signposting or basic on the spot advice. We expect all staff to deliver a high level of confidentiality and empathy to our members.
You will provide admin support to the generalist team on various topics, you will be required to make appointments, create accurate records, deal with reception duties on our face to face sessions and assist in queries from our clients.
Who you are:
We are looking for a professional, passionate, and enthusiastic person to join our Advice Team.
We are currently looking for an engaged Student Adviser to join our team- all of whom are committed to providing excellent advice and support to our students.
We are looking for somebody who has strong communication skills, a great team player, attention to detail and the ability to think on the spot.
In addition, you will passionately believe in the benefits of empowerment, engagement, and student leadership.
Because you’re excited by the challenge!
The exact opposite of corporate, we’re progressive, creative individuals working to make a difference in an unconventional workplace. In return for your passion and experience we offer a flexible work environment, a competitive salary and excellent holiday allowance.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all. We welcome applications from individuals regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, age, gender, or disability status. We want to
support a diverse and inclusive work environment and are actively looking for people who share our values.
We offer a generous benefits package to reward our staff's hard work and commitment:
- Pension Scheme – statutory workplace pension scheme ‘NEST’.
- Generous holiday allowance - 25 days a year plus bank holidays. Additional days are given at Easter and Christmas in line with the University closure dates (usually about 5 additional days a year).
- Long service - 2 additional days leave will be given after 5 years continuous service
- TOTUM Card - All Union career staff are entitled to receive a TOTUM student discount card free of charge.
- Active@Brunel - Free membership to our social sports programme.
- On-site parking – Parking on campus at a low-cost rate.
- Flexible Working - The Union adopts a flexible working environment.
- Personal Development - The Union is fully committed to investing in your future. If you are interested in a training programme which you feel would benefit you within your current position you can submit a training request via your line manager.
- Employee assistance programme
Application Deadline: Sunday 25th February 2024
Interviews: Monday 8th March 2024
Start Date: To be discussed with the successful applicant, ideally beginning in March/April.
Our Values are an important factor in The Union of Brunel Students as they drive our decisions.
- Driven by You
- Open to All
- Passionately positive
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
If you’re successful we will contact you for an interview and if you have any questions you can contact huw.harris:@brunel.ac.uk