Four years ago, as a brand new charity with one staff member and one sabbatical officer, we set out on an audacious journey to become one of the best students’ unions in the country. In that time we’ve grown from a basement under the stairs, to the heart of student life at University College Birmingham.
We’ve spent time shaping a truly exciting, and we think ground breaking, strategy for 2025. As part of this strategy, we have created the role of Head of Student Communities. The successful candidate will own our entire theory of change around student engagement and the student journey. Their work will ensure our students can reach their personal best, and shape their worlds and the world around them.
This is a genuinely exciting time to join a new, values-driven, Students’ Union in a modern University with huge determination to be amongst the best. We’re looking for someone who is ambitious for our students, and forward thinking in their approach. Someone willing to look beyond the usual, inspired by the opportunity to experiment to build something radical.
Together, we have the opportunity to innovate and experiment in student representation, campaigning and community building, to create a students’ union for the future.
If you're are passionate about our mission, and excited to join the journey we're on. If you are inspired by what we’re trying to create, we’d love to receive an application from you.
To manage the Student Communities department, leading the team’s delivery and operational planning, alongside providing department support to relevant student leaders
- Recruiting, inducting and welcoming career and student staff into the Student Communities team
- Providing good quality line management structures, following the Guild’s procedures and processes including weekly one to ones, monthly reviews, and quarterly and annual reviews in line with our Progression Framework
- Managing and encouraging the personal and professional development of all Student Communities team members, providing opportunities for all team members to grow and excel in their roles
- Providing coaching, development and guidance to student leaders, including training, briefings and ongoing support
- Developing a friendly and welcoming team culture within the Student Communities team, and as a department within the wider Guild team
To ensure all programs related to Student Communities are delivered to an excellent standard, in line with the Guild’s strategic and annual plans
- Ensuring the team supports students to tackle needs that impact on their ability to fully engage with their UCB life
- Driving activities and the development of the Guild’s culture to ensure the Guild becomes the UCB expert on developing a sense of belonging at UCB for students individually and communally
- Creating a strong Guild community where students can form diverse forms of community, including friendship groups, student societies, liberation collectives and other forms of groupings
- Ensuring those Guild communities are well supported, encouraged to develop and open to all
- Owning the Guild’s representative functions, from supporting elected officers to be brilliant leaders for students through to ensuring students feel represented academically on their course and in their department
- Supporting students on their journeys through great quality initiatives and programs of activity
- Managing and overseeing budgets delivering to income targets, reporting on income targets and variance regularly
- Working with the Guild Director to ensure the Guild’s corporate governance policies and procedures are high quality and legally compliant
To innovate and develop the Guild’s Student Communities, with a key involvement in the strategic development of UCB Guild as part of the Guild’s Senior Management Team
- Innovate and experiment across the Student Communities delivery area to create great programs of work that deliver to the Guild’s objectives and achieve key results in the pursuit of our mission
- Work with the Director to drive development of the Guild’s strategic vision
- Support the Director in directing and delivering the overall mission of the Guild, working to the Annual Plan, ensuring high quality and impact
- Steward, direct and deliver identified projects aligned with the Guild’s Annual Plan from inception to completion with measurable impact and results
- Interpret data and research to make good decisions about initiatives in order to improve the Guild and drive future development
- Working hand in hand with the Operations Manager to lead the alignment of programs Create a positive working environment in which a commitment to equality and diversity is paramount, and dignity at work is upheld.
- Contribute enthusiastically towards the wider work of the Guild, embracing the flexible working practices required when working as part of a small organisation
- Build effective networks and relationships with key stakeholders, including within UCB, to promote and develop the Guild.