As the Assistant Food and Beverage Venue Manager in our Student Union, you will play a crucial role in supporting the Food and Beverage Venue Manager in leading and overseeing all aspects of our food and beverage outlets. This hands-on operational role requires you to work well under pressure, possess exceptional organisational skills, be a great leader, and have a genuine passion for events.
You will be responsible for assisting in the management of a diverse team, ensuring exceptional customer service, and maintaining high operational standards within the venues. Your efforts will directly impact the student experience, contributing to the success and sustainability of our Commercial Services
Responsible to: Food and Beverage Venue Manager
Responsible for: Duty Manager, Coordinator, Supervisor, Team Leader, and Casual Staff
The Assistant Food and Beverage Venue Manager is part of the Greenwich Students’ Union Commercial Services. At GSU, we turn over £1.1m through our not-for-profit commercial services that provide services to students, staff, and the local population. We provide students at the University of Greenwich with social spaces to study, make friends and have fun.
Additionally, the profit generated through our varied income portfolio is invested back into the SU support services for students. We are a Living Wage Employer and a large employer of students putting money back in their pockets to support studying and living costs in London and Kent.
1 Duty and Key Responsibilities
- Support the Food and Beverage Venue Manager in overseeing the daily operations of all food and beverage outlets within the GSU.
- Ensure the delivery of high-quality food, beverages, events, and service to meet the expectations of our diverse student community and visitors.
- Assist in managing maintenance issues and maintaining cleanliness, presentation, and a welcoming atmosphere in the venues.
- Collaborate with the Food and Beverage Venue Manager in stock management, ensuring availability, correct stock levels, and achieving gross profit margins.
- Ensure beverages are served in compliance with licensing regulations and company policy.
- Participate in maintaining high levels of presentation across our bars and lounges.
- Engage with customers and provide support to the team during service.
- Assist in implementing efficient roster management to ensure effective operational cover and staffing during peak hours and events.
- Help ensure casual staff receive appropriate induction, training, appraisal, and supervision.
- Monitor staff deployment and expenditure to maintain excellent service within budget.
- Support the Food and Beverage Venue Manager in providing suitable instruction and direction to staff for delivering bars and entertainment services in line with policies.
- Aid in responding quickly to changing business patterns while managing costs and staffing levels within budget.
- Assist in completing departmental operating plans, strategic reviews, and KPI reports as required.
- Collaborate with the Food and Beverage Venue Manager in recruiting, training, and leading a skilled team of food service professionals.
- Support staff development through ongoing training, performance evaluations, and regular feedback sessions.
- Assist in running team incentives to promote sales and upselling.
Food and Drink
- Collaborate with the Food and Beverage Venue Manager in continuously reviewing and enhancing our food and beverage offerings to align with student preferences and market trends.
- Support the management of relationships with vendors and suppliers to ensure a consistent and reliable supply chain.
- Be knowledgeable about the products sold and be able to make recommendations to customers.
- Participate in running offers and promotions at the correct times.
Event Planning and Coordination
- Assist in planning and coordinating special events and functions held within the food and beverage outlets.
- Collaborate with event organisers and clients to understand their requirements and deliver exceptional service during events.
- Ensure timely and appropriate preparation and layout of the venue for events/bookings.
- Collaborate with the Marketing coordinator on Social Media posts of events and venue functions.
- Ensure all administration that you are responsible for is carried out in the correct manner.
- Control admission procedures to the premises in line with the legal requirement and policies of GSU.
Finance and Reporting
- Assist in managing department budgets and expenses.
- Prepare incident, accident, and end-of-day reports.
- Collaborate with the Food and Beverage Venue Manager and Area Manager to set and achieve financial targets and budgets for the outlets.
- Comply with GSU's Financial Regulations, Standards, and Procedures, particularly in relation to cash handling, stock control, purchasing, timesheets and payment of contractors and artists.
- Ensure prompt submission of relevant financial information to the finance department.
Health, Safety, and Compliance
- Work within licensing, health, and safety policies, safeguarding, hygiene and other regulations pertaining to the operation of the venue, ensuring all staff are trained appropriately.
- Support the Food and Beverage Venue Manager in maintaining strict adherence to food hygiene and safety standards, conducting regular checks to ensure compliance.
- Contribute to written risk assessments for all events in line with policies and procedures.
2 General Responsibilities
- Represent and be an ambassador for GSU.
- Be flexible and carry out other associated duties as may arise, develop, or be assigned in line with the broad remit of the position.
- Maintain and improve competencies through continuous professional development.
- Abide by organisational policies, codes of conduct and practices.
- Support and promote workplace liberation, diversity, equality, and inclusion of opportunity.
- Treat with confidentiality any personal, private, or sensitive information about individual organisations, clients, staff, and Project data.
- Actively seek better ways to assist GSU in becoming a more sustainable workplace.
- Any other duties commensurate with the accountabilities of the post
- Previous experience as Senior Supervisor or Assistant Manager with significant industry experience in high-turnover venues, covering a comprehensive range of events.
- Experience in managing a varied staff team, demonstrating strong leadership and team development skills.
- A proven track record of successfully working towards financial targets and the ability to understand budgets in an evolving marketplace, showing adaptability and business acumen.
- Experience in managing and developing a complex and diverse range of activities showcasing creativity and imagination.
- Exceptional customer service and creating a welcoming environment for students.
- Excellent communication skills and a positive attitude while interacting with clients and co-workers.
- Excellent self-motivated problem solver, with the ability to meet deadlines effectively.
- Ability to handle difficult or conflict situations and communicate effectively both orally and in writing at all levels.
- Excellent time management, organisational, and planning skills.
- Demonstrated accountability, responsibility, reliability, and amenability.
- Familiarity with relevant software and tools for managing schedules, inventory, and reporting.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel and Word, as well as an understanding of social media platforms.
- Must be willing to work late nights and weekends as required.
- Formal relevant catering qualifications – Health and Safety Level 3, First Aid etc.
- Corporate hospitality, events, and entertainment experience.
- Good experience in managing health & safety and security legislation.
- Technical understanding of lighting, sound, and other production equipment.
- Understanding and knowledge of working within the student sector.
- Personal Licence holder.
- SIA door registration.
- A full, clean driving licence.
Personal Attributes and Other Requirements
- All Commercial Services staff may be asked to work at other campus outlets on an ad hoc basis to assist with day-to-day operations and events.
- Innovative and forward-thinking approach to continued improvement.
- Able to travel extensively within the Borough and Region.
- Able to work unsociable hours and stay overnight where necessary.
- Work well in a team with a flexible approach to work.
- Commitment to anti-discriminatory practice and equal opportunities.
- An ability to apply awareness of diversity issues to all areas of work.
- Commitment to the values and ethos of the Organisation.