AboutOur vision - Our members to make the most of their journey at Greenwich. Our mission - We empower students to have life changing experiences, which help them shape their futures and the world around them. Our values - Empowering, Courageous, Dedicated, Trusted and Approachable. What we provide We provide support and encourage our members to get involved with the university experience as much as possible, the below are to main areas were we engage with our members. Membership Services Student Representation and Advice Commercial Services Village Shop Bar Latitude Sparrows nightclub
The membership services team provide students at the University of Greenwich and their partner colleges with the opportunity to make change, make friends, take part in new activities and get help to support their wellbeing. With an annual budget of over £500k, membership services are the life blood of GSU consisting of: student activities including sport clubs and societies; student voice including programme representation and elections; student advice, volunteering and academic community development.
Duties and key responsibilities
Lead the membership services team
• Lead the membership service team to provide the services and experience for students at the University of Greenwich focusing on building academic and social communities
• Responsible for the delivery of student representation, democracy, governance, advice, activities, volunteering and student events services
• Responsible for growing participation and increasing footfall across the Greenwich and Avery Hill campuses;
• To keep abreast of key changes in Higher Education policy that impacts students and GSU;
• Continue to measure the outcomes of our membership services ensuring the impact and benefit of our services are known and inform future development.
Representation and Advice
• Develop and support the team of 4 full-time Officers and elected representatives, empowering them and equipping them to represent their membership and campaign for change;
• Support, advise and guide our student leadership ensuring induction, training, support and development of individuals is tailored to specific needs;
• Ensure GSU works with the University to deliver a quality Academic Representative System that ensures we represent our members academic interests
• Ensure that the student leadership are supported to represent the membership in dealings with University Committees, University staff, and external bodies – with specific responsibility for academic committees.
• Support the team to implement the advice stagey to ensure GSU provides a proactive triage support service to our membership focusing on the priority issues students require support with Activities, Volunteering and Employability
• Strategically lead the student activities team to develop and deliver amazing student groups and societies that increase student engagement at the university
• Support our student leaders, group leaders and volunteers empowering them to articulate their
experience for future careers
• Work closely with the 4 University faculties, careers service and external partners to achieve our strategic objective to support Greenwich students to become more employable and be a part of a thriving academic community;
• Development a new student volunteer strategy focusing on accreditation and partnerships;
• Work with the Senior Leadership Team to develop our student staff to utilise their experiences at GSU
to support their future career opportunities.
Strategic leadership and operations
• Deputise for the Chief Executive; attend trustee board meetings and work closely with University stakeholders to promote and champion GSU
• Work with the CEO and trustees to develop and implement the strategic plan – the Big Plan
• Play a key role in liaison and negotiations with GSU staff, University staff and other external parties in developing strategic and income opportunities for the Union
• Responsibility for writing business plans, reports and papers for internal and external committees/ stakeholders
• Support the CEO with the development, implementation and delivery of the People Strategy
• Work with the CEO to review the SU governance arrangements linked to the Big Choice outcome
• Responsible for developing budgets and having day to day operational control of over £500k membership services budget
• Responsible for legal compliance issues relating to membership services and acting as deputy Safeguarding Officer.
• Responsible for the recruitment, induction and management of the membership service staff team, providing personal development opportunities for them to grow and flourish;
• Line manage the membership service staff team in line with the policies and procedures of the Union;
• Lead the membership service staff team by setting challenging targets and managing performance and outcomes in line with the strategic/operational plans of the Union.
Additional projects that improve student experience
• Drive membership services income generation in areas including NUS Extra, student activities and fundraising bids to support development within SU;
• Lead the delivery of Open Days, Welcome/Freshers and build relationships with Resident Assistant team, partner colleges and Carlton Athletic
GK Unions Partnership
• Lead the SU relationship with Greenwich and Kent Unions Together (GK Unions), attending partnership boards and engaging with the strategy development for GK Unions;
• Build relationships with membership services leaders across the student union sector;
• Work with the CEO to build the SU representation across the student union sector and our engagement with the National Union of Students.
• Represent and be an ambassador for GSU;
• Be flexible and carry out other associated duties as may arise, develop or be assigned in line with the broad remit of the position;
• Maintain and improve competencies through continuous professional development;
• Abide by organisational policies, codes of conduct and practices;
• Support and promote diversity and equality of opportunity in the workplace;
• Treat with confidentiality any personal, private or sensitive information about individual organisations and or clients or staff and Project data;
• Any other duties commensurate with the accountabilities of the post
- To review fully the volunteering offer at the Students’ Union including the implementation of the theory of: Credit, Accreditation, Pay
- Implement to changes of Democratic Review (The Big Choice) ensuring GSU has a strong set of bylaws defined by the referum to implement for 2019/20 academic cycle.
- To increase the overall quality of outputs from the Students’ Union by introducing a number of new initiatives to enhance quality including; Coordination of the strategy for increasing the NSS score (qu.26) Stakeholder mapping and ongoing monitoring Embedding use of meaningful data and statistics Manage major events and projects (eg. Varsity, Awards, Elections)