AboutWe are the Students’ Union at the University of East Anglia and we’re the heart of student life at UEA. We’re about Students - Transforming. We are students learning and developing through opportunities to do things. We are a Union, run by students, and we change every year as students change. We are about changing your course, your community and your world. The elected student officers determine the direction of the SU and employ 100 permanent staff and about 400 students to look after the day to day operations. They act as advocates to the University, to the city of Norwich and nationally to the Government for the students at UEA. They represent students on a large and diverse set of issues, many of which change year on year. They lead campaigns to create positive change and allow students to shape their educational experience. In addition to representation, the SU provides professional support and advice on academic, welfare and housing issues to individual students, as well as running our own housing bureau, Home Run. The SU provides the majority of extracurricular activity on campus. We run and support over 60 Sports Clubs and 160 Student Societies. Our commercial services, which are aimed at students, but open to anyone, include retail shops, bars and 2 entertainment venues. The SU and its services have a combined annual turnover of around £10 million.
Students’ Unions aren’t just any membership charity – they’re active, democratic mutuals, using the energy and passion of their student members to deliver improvements to students’ lives. The students’ union’s Assistant Director of Social Enterprise (Venues) will be at the centre of developing and managing the union’s Venues operations, including the operation of the largest music venue in the region, multiple bars and student club nights alongside a unique and renowned venue in Norwich city centre.
If you have experience of managing, supervising and leading complex venues operations, want to work in a student-led environment, and are motivated to coordinate various locations and teams, then we would love to hear from you.
- To develop a long-term vision for the Venues operation in line with the SU’s wider strategic objectives
- To develop annual departmental action plans, including performance milestones
- To set annual budgets for various Venues profit and loss accounts
- To demonstrate detailed understanding of changing trends in the licensed trade, catering, marketing & entertainments sectors
- To take overall responsibility for the programming, diversity and delivery and diversity of events in SU premises
- Previous experience in a licensed retail led organisation
- Proven success managing medium/large groups of colleagues and budgets
- Experience of managing projects
- High level knowledge of current issues and themes in marketing, media, sales and communications