AboutWe are the Students’ Union at the University of East Anglia and we’re the heart of student life at UEA. We’re about Students - Transforming. We are students learning and developing through opportunities to do things. We are a Union, run by students, and we change every year as students change. We are about changing your course, your community and your world. The elected student officers determine the direction of the SU and employ 100 permanent staff and about 400 students to look after the day to day operations. They act as advocates to the University, to the city of Norwich and nationally to the Government for the students at UEA. They represent students on a large and diverse set of issues, many of which change year on year. They lead campaigns to create positive change and allow students to shape their educational experience. In addition to representation, the SU provides professional support and advice on academic, welfare and housing issues to individual students, as well as running our own housing bureau, Home Run. The SU provides the majority of extracurricular activity on campus. We run and support over 60 Sports Clubs and 160 Student Societies. Our commercial services, which are aimed at students, but open to anyone, include retail shops, bars and 2 entertainment venues. The SU and its services have a combined annual turnover of around £10 million.
The Students’ Union’s Commercial Sales & Marketing Manager will be at the centre of leading a freshly redeveloped team in the union aimed at maximising internal and external revenue and creating meaningful partnerships both locally and nationally, ensuring our members remain at the forefront of our marketing activity. We operate a box office function for our venues, The LCR and Waterfront, as well as venues from across the region, create and maintain partnerships with local traders and national companies, and help our social enterprises shine – this role will be supervising three full-time members of career staff, as well as student staff in roles as diverse as designers to administration assistants.
Ideally, you’ll have experience in managing groups in this kind of environment, you’ll know about ticketing and marketing in particular, and your communication must be excellent, whether verbal or digital.
- Supervise the implementation of commercial sales and marketing strategy for commercial services within uea(su)
- Direct strategic market research and consumer insight to determine market requirements for existing and future products
- Develop existing digital sales and marketing platforms including social media
- To supervise the promotion of union advertising channels to the local business community through proactive direct marketing, networking, writing and creating promotional literature and liaising with intermediary organisations
- To develop the SU's sales and business partnerships services to be recognised by both the local and national business community as the absolute choice to engage with UEA students
- Previous experience in a commercial marketing and sales organisation
- Experience of managing a large scale box office operation
- Proven experience of instigating change of a strategic nature
- Experience or analysing and acting upon detailed sales and marketing information