AboutLed by students, backed by volunteers and staff, the University of Northampton Students’ Union exists to ensure that the students of the University, our members, get the best possible experience from their time at Northampton. The Students’ Union is a dynamic, fast paced, student-led organisation; representing all students at the University of Northampton across two campuses. The Students’ Union runs a variety of services for students including sports, societies, campaigning, volunteering opportunities locally and abroad, student representation, as well as a number of retail outlets, bars and social venues. A vibrant and diverse community of almost 15,000 members, you’ll be right at the heart of our service provision - an effective member of our permanent staff team, enthusiastic about sharing the work of the Students’ Union and the activities of our varied student groups. Over the past three years we’ve grown tremendously. Over 2,000 students now participate in our various Societies, 1,600 students play in our Stallions Sports Clubs and compete nationally in the British Universities & Colleges Sports Leagues every Wednesday, hundreds of students attend our evening entertainments every week and thousands of students recognised for their achievements every year through our volunteer recognition and award ceremonies. With the University of Northampton moving to a brand new Waterside Campus in 2018, it couldn’t be a more exciting time to join the Students’ Union and be a part of team that leads and manages this transition. The Students’ Union will be spread across two sites following the move – the Heritage Listed Engine Shed building on the Waterside Campus, opening in August 2018, and a brand new town centre venue in the heart of Northampton, opening in September 2017. This town centre venue will deliver a host of entertainments and commercial services to the student body and general public through two bars, basement nightclub, two bars, art shop and letting agency. Whilst the Grade II Engine Shed and adjacent office will be brought back into use as a vibrant hub of student activity, supporting a number of innovative community engagement projects with local partners and businesses.
The aim of the Students’ Union is to support and enhance the educational, social, cultural and recreational activities, and opportunities of the student body, and also to provide a channel of communication for students with the University, NUS and other bodies. This is a fantastic opportunity for a motivated, creative events professional to produce a wide variety of free events, activities and promotions that support student engagement across the organisation throughout the year on campus and further afield.
The Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaboration is central to what we do, whether it’s supporting and working together with our students, community partners, colleagues at the University or with our departments at the Students’ Union! When we’ve got large projects or events, like Freshers Week, we all pitch in to ensure that our members get the best possible experience.
- The following outlines the principal duties and responsibilities that this role plays in ensuring our students have a fantastic time at Northampton and provides a guide to the work that the post holder will initially be required to undertake. Other duties or a change of duties may be necessary from time to time.
To Create a Programme of Events to Excite and Engage the Membership
- Alongside the Marketing & Communications Manager, work with Union staff and Elected Officers in planning and producing a calendar of events, activities and promotions that deliver a positive student experience to a wide range of student demographics.
- Be responsible for end to end delivery of the Students’ Union’s free fitness class programme.
- Be responsible for end to end delivery of the Students’ Union’s off-site trips.
- Be responsible for end to end delivery of the Students’ Union’s recreational activities at University Open Days and Applicant Discovery Days.
- Examine methods of increasing user engagement through experiential events, activities and promotions and implement your findings within the stipulated budget.
To Ensure the Quality of our Engagement Events and Activities
- Produce all relevant risk assessments for engagement activities and events, ensuring adequate safety precautions are taken and adequate insurance is in place.
- Production of detailed event budgets, obtainment of quotes and securing external services where appropriate.
- Ensure all information regarding heritage and volunteering activities is up to date on the website and any publicity materials.
- Recording of data relating to student attendance at all engagement events and activities, regularly reviewing demographics engaged and targeting areas of reduced interaction.
- Work with the Marketing & Communications Coordinator to develop mechanisms for collating student feedback and actions for improvement.
To support Departmental Strategic and Operational Planning
- Provide information relating to activities for reports and meetings as required by the Marketing and Communications Manager.
- Contribute to the development of the annual communications and content calendar
- Contribute to strategic planning discussions by putting forward proposals for development opportunities.
- Liaise with University Staff and external organisations on matters relating to marketing and communications.
- A relevant events or hospitality qualification at degree level e.g. BA Events Management
- GCSE Maths and English or equivalent
- IOSH Safety Qualification
- Previous experience of producing events in a fast-paced commercial or non-profit environment
- Experience of end to end event design and delivery Knowledge
- Confident in the creation of risk assessments
- Working knowledge of Adobe CS packages, including Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and Flash
- Proficient in Microsoft Office e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Excel.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with an ability to relate to and communicate effectively with people from different backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to operate effectively in a complex, fast paced working environment, with the interpersonal skills and acumen to develop productive relationships with a range of stakeholders.
- An understanding of and interest in students events.
- Excellent organisational and self-management skills.