AboutWelcome to the University of Northampton Students' Union! We are a registered charity, completely independent from the University. Led by students, backed by volunteers and staff, we seek to ensure that our members' time at the University is the best it can possibly be – that it is rewarding, fulfilling and memorable. Our members have access to all of our services and opportunities, including sports, societies, volunteering, advice and representation, our catering and retail outlets, as well as our nightclub. We have recently relocated our charitable services to the new Waterside Campus, and opened our town centre nightclub, conferencing centre and cafe, called The Platform.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities of post-holder
1. Alongside the Student Engagement Team, coordinate, administer and act as first
point of contact for NSU’s societies, Course Reps and Elected Officers.
2. Ensure the appropriate delivery of NSU’s operating procedures in relation to
societies, reps and officer-related activity.
3. Support the development, growth and impact of NSU societies by supporting them
through the Union’s Societies Accreditation Framework.
4. Act as first point of contact for students and University staff for student engagement
activities within post-holder’s designated faculty.
5. To actively promote student voice in the student community via a number of
communications tools, including face to face, and digital platforms.
6. Work with the Insights Coordinator to gather student opinion and use feedback to
develop NSU’s student engagement services.
7. Support NSU project activity by attending and contribution to project meetings as
8. As part of the Student Engagement Team, assist with the recruitment, training and
on-going mentorship of student leaders in all areas of NSU activity, ensuring a clear
development pathway exists for emerging leaders to progress through.
9. Support the planning and delivery of NSU’s Welcome Week activity.
10. To support Elected Officers with the delivery of their manifesto on a day-to-day
11. Ensure NSU webpages are kept up to date with student experience opportunities
and activities, and regular and relevant content is provided to the Brand & Comms
12. Coordinate student led meetings through effective support of committee chairs,
and that appropriate minutes are recorded and disseminated.
13. Work with faculties and SU management to ensure that we are achieving strong
outcomes for both organisations.
14. Develop and maintain working relationships with University schools and faculties,
including to develop support and opportunities for societies and other student
15. Liaise with the SU’s Health, Safety and Risk Committee to ensure the health and
safety of staff and students, and risk assessments are maintained.
16. To support the Studemt Engagement Manager with the delivery of large SU
events/projects such as Freshers’ Week, Elections, and Varsity.
17. To support the delivery of Students’ Union services at satellite sites as-and-when
To contribute to the overall effectiveness of the Union
1. Actively participate in meetings, personal development, and training events where
there is a clear link to our strategy, your role or personal development.
2. Ensuring that statutory and legal obligations are met.
3. Ensure our financial sustainability by adhering to all financial procedures and
processes of the Students’ Union.
4. Promoting the Students’ Union’s various policies within your work, in particular
Health & Safety, Equality & Diversity, Ethical, and Environmental.
5. Contributing to the positive image of the Students’ Union with students, the
University and the local community.
6. Working across the Union to share skills, improve capability or capacity and in
support of service delivery.
7. Be flexible in your approach to work, ensuring you can work at any site as
required, and unsociable hours as required to enable us to fulfil our mission.
8. The job description may be altered at any time in the future in line with the level of
the post to meet changing requirements, please be assure that this will only be
done in full consultation with the post holder.
9. Such other duties and projects as may be reasonably prescribed by the Union,
appropriate to the grade and responsibilities of this post.