AboutWelcome to the University of Northampton Students' Union! We are a registered charity, completely independent from the University. Led by students, backed by volunteers and staff, we seek to ensure that our members' time at the University is the best it can possibly be – that it is rewarding, fulfilling and memorable. Our members have access to all of our services and opportunities, including sports, societies, volunteering, advice and representation, our catering and retail outlets, as well as our nightclub. We have recently relocated our charitable services to the new Waterside Campus, and opened our town centre nightclub, conferencing centre and cafe, called The Platform.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities of post-holder
1. Deliver agreed annual communications plans, as well as supporting the development of in-year comms with the internal staff team when required, ensuring content is in line with the SU brand and strategy.
2. Consulting with service delivery staff and elected officers to ensure our communications campaigns are strong and collaborative.
3. Support the planning and delivery of Students’ Union activity on University of Northampton Open Days and Discovery Days, ensuing that prospective students understand what the SU has to offer, how they can engage when they begin their studies, and the benefits of engaging with SU activity.
4. Support the IT Committee in the development and on-going operation of the UNSU website and CRM.
5. Develop UNSU’s brand and presence across all of our physical sites, and our physical and digital assets, ensuring our brand becomes a trusted and valued partner to our members and the University.
6. Collaborate with the Insights Coordinator where appropriate to ensure UNSU’s communication and brand has a strong evidence-base to evolve its platforms and content based on the diverse needs and expectations of our members.
7. Work with the Student Experience Manager (Voice) to develop our member’s understanding of the Union, its elected officers and how our democratic functions work.
8. Work with staff across the organisation to collate a plan an annual communications calendar each year.
9. Support staff so that they are aware of our approach to brand voice, ensuring that our content is consistent with who we are striving to be.
10. Develop a strong relationship within the University – particularly in relation to communications, PR, press, digital and media.
11. Produce graphics, video content and copy for our website, email comms and social media channels.
Ability to manage multiple projects in a dynamic and progressive environment.
Understanding of social media use in organisations, with considerations of trends and key audiences
An excellent collaborator
High level of attention to detail when reviewing written communication / ability to proofread effectively
Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to communicate with a wide range of stakeholders at all levels.
Experience of writing communications plans
Experience of a communications role in a member-led organisation.
Ability to produce quality graphics for our comms channels
Ability to produce quality video content for our comms channels