AboutThe University of Manchester Students' Union is one of the biggest Students' Unions in the country, with over 40,000 student members. Our staff team are kept pretty busy supporting (approx) : • 1500 student reps • 450 societies • 250 student staff • 30 elected officers (full & part-time) • 4 live music venues (including the iconic Manchester Academy) We are an ambitious organisation with a real passion for supporting student life, so if you'd like to join us on our journey to becoming the best Students' Union in the country take a look at our vacancies and come and join the team.
At the University of Manchester Students' Union, our mission is to be the voice of students at Manchester, effecting change and enriching student life together. Led/driven by a team of 8 elected student officers, campaigning and democracy are an essential part of our work in ensuring that students are able to bring about change on campus, locally and nationally. This role aims to provide leadership in developing a consistent and coordinated approach to campaigning and democracy in the union, underpinned by an active commitment to liberation and diversity in all Union activity, ensuring students are at the heart of and informing all these areas of work. Developing advocacy campaigns with and for students and supporting the union’s democratic structures is key to this role. There are three broad areas of campaigning work;
- Supporting the student the executive team in their campaigns and plans for the year, in particular the liberation and access officer.
- Developing student led campaigns, focused on encouraging and empowering students to participate and found campaigns on issues that affect them and their peers.
- Developing and leading evidenced based campaigns as a staff team on issues that affect students and can provide substantial impact on our student’s quality of life.
Principal duties of the role :
- To lead and manage an effective and impactful student centred campaigns team within the union. To facilitate work with campaigners, established student groups and Officers and external organisations, to effect change on behalf of and alongside University of Manchester students. To provide evidence of impact and evaluate campaigning activity ensuring continuous improvement.
- To ensure that all democratic processes and functions are easily accessible to students, accountable to students, and understandable to students. To develop, implement and evaluate approaches to increase participation in democracy across all student groups and raise awareness of Union democratic structures with key University and wider community stakeholders.
- To provide first-line support, advice and guidance for Officers and representational structures within the Students’ Union, coordinating induction, training, support and development of individuals is tailored to specific needs. To contribute to, and assist with, the annual training and development programme for the Executive Officers and compilation of manifesto operational plans for newly elected Officers.
- To ensure the successful delivery, promotion and reporting of all democratic student meetings and elections, ensuring adherence to Union policy and governing documents, identifying areas for continuous improvements to ensure greater engagement with elections & democratic structures.
- Supporting the organisation’s Diversity and Liberation strategy and enabling the strategy’s ambitions to be realised for students.