AboutThe University of Manchester Students' Union is one of the biggest Students' Unions in the country, with a membership of over 40,000 students. Our staff team are kept pretty busy supporting : •approx. 1500 student reps •450 societies •approx. 200 student staff working across various departments •30 elected officers (full & part-time) •4 live music venues (including the iconic Manchester Academy) We are an ambitious organisation with a real passion for supporting student life, so if you'd like to join us on our journey to becoming the best Students' Union in the country take a look at our vacancies and come and join our wonderful team of highly committed, enthusiastic and skilled staff.
The role :
There will be various facets to this role. It is a very people focused role and there will be daily interaction with staff, students, and partner organizations. The postholder will be required to write reports to the board, develop business cases for service development and contribute to financial reporting. There will also be an element of networking with other Unions, NUS, and other commercial organizations.
Due to our diverse range of commercial services the successful candidate will need to be experienced in managing a broad portfolio and developing different functions.
Working as part of the Senior Leadership team of four (supported by a Senior Management team of 9 responsible for the day to day operation of the Union), you’ll need to be competent in managing through managers and maintaining a strategic focus.
You’ll be required to provide strategic leadership to the commercial services ensuring that all financial targets are met and the offering remains current and meets the needs of firstly student but also our broader customer base.
- Continuously reviewing and developing the services to ensure that they remain on trend and meet the needs of students and our broader customer base
- Working in partnership with NUS Trading Services to ensure that the purchasing consortium conditions are adhered to and opportunities for development are maximized
- Embedding a culture of excellent customer service within the permanent and student staff teams
- Developing excellent working relationships with commercial partners (for example venues management and security) to ensure that they are held accountable for performance standards and are adding value to the Union
- Ensuring the Trustee board and subcommittees are furnished with high-quality reports providing them with a sound oversight of all commercial activity
- Financial & risk management
- Line management of the Commercial Senior Managers in line with the Union performance management framework
- Acting as a mentor to the elected officers and provide support in ensuring their plans are delivered
- Act as a champion of the Union’s behaviours recognising good behaviour and challenging where these behaviours are not adhered to
- As part of the Senior Leadership Team ensuring that the organisation remains on track to deliver against the strategic plan and working in partnership with the rest of the team to set the operating plan framework
- Acting as project sponsor for cross organizational projects
- Working in partnership with the other Directors and ensuring there is a spirit of collegiality between the commercial, support and student-facing teams. Drawing on the skills and expertise of other teams as required