AboutAbout us We are an independent charity that exists to represent the needs and views of all 37,000 plus students at Manchester Metropolitan University. There has been a Students’ Union for what we now call Manchester Metropolitan University since the 1920s. Over the last one hundred years, the role of The Union and the part it plays in student education and wellbeing has grown and developed into the organisation we are today. Students are at the heart of what we do.
- Could you lead the team that takes volunteering to the next level at The Union, Manchester Met?
- Working within an inclusive, empowering and aspirational culture, you will be developing and delivering amazing volunteering services, events and projects. You will be helping new generations of students to get involved in community volunteering and social action, making student volunteering famous and you’ll be ensuring the implementation of best practice in volunteer management within The Union.
- Who are we? Part business, part charity, part membership body – The Union is a seriously fun place to work. Professionally run, but different. Our professional team of over 150 people support elected student leaders to be effective in making change, improving lives and fulfilling potential. Winner of the NUS Campaigning Award 2017, The Union is one of more than 550 students’ unions across the country. We’re located in the amazing city of Manchester, famous for its music, arts, sport, social heritage and diversity. With 38,000 plus student members, 150 student groups, a huge range of services and a bold strategy, we’re one of the most exciting.
What’s the job?
We are looking for someone to work closely with elected officers and key University staff and other stakeholders to develop the service strategically.
- You’ll manage and develop your team of volunteering and projects staff creating an annual programme of events and volunteer development activity;
- Through your work with stakeholders in The Union and University you will inspire student involvement in community volunteering and social action;
- You will have up to date knowledge of best practice and sector developments and will take responsibility for the Investors in Volunteers process; developing volunteering policies and systems and creating guidance and training for colleagues;
- You will be nurturing strong relationships with key local and national organisations in volunteering, overseeing the development of volunteering brokerage services and delivering appropriate, safe, community-based opportunities and projects for MMU students.
Who you are
- Passionate about the value and impact of volunteering and social action on communities and individuals, with a great knowledge of sector trends, you also have practical experience, gained either through paid employment or volunteering roles.
- With a can-do attitude, and your flexible approach to work; you’ll stay calm in a hectic environment and be totally at home managing and prioritising a complex and varied portfolio of projects and work activity on time and to budget.
- You put your excellent interpersonal skills to great use in building relationships and working effectively with people at all levels and work collaboratively with other people and organisations.
- You already have experience of managing community projects and organising volunteers, students or adult learners and have knowledge of safeguarding and are a highly effective mentor and supervisor of others.
- You’re used to producing accessible promotional, guidance and training material and delivering high quality presentations and training suitable for a variety of audiences.