AboutAbout us We are an independent charity that exists to represent the needs and views of all 37,000 plus students at Manchester Metropolitan University. There has been a Students’ Union for what we now call Manchester Metropolitan University since the 1920s. Over the last one hundred years, the role of The Union and the part it plays in student education and wellbeing has grown and developed into the organisation we are today. Students are at the heart of what we do.
- Could you lead the team that takes student engagement to the next level at The Union, Manchester Met?
- Working within an inclusive, empowering and aspirational culture, you will drive forward and develop a strong student engagement portfolio that supports our Elected Officers in their work. You will lead and develop the student voice team: helping new generations of students to get involved in representation and engagement.
- Who are we? Part business, part charity, part membership body – The Union is a seriously fun place to work. Professionally run, but different. Our professional team of over 150 people support elected student leaders to be effective in making change, improving lives and fulfilling potential. Winner of the NUS Campaigning Award 2017, The Union is one of more than 550 students’ unions across the country. We’re located in the amazing city of Manchester, famous for its music, arts, sport, social heritage and diversity. With 38,000 plus student members, 150 student groups, a huge range of services and a bold strategy, we’re one of the most exciting.
What’s the job?
We are looking for someone to work closely with elected officers, key University staff and other stakeholders to develop the service strategically;
- You’ll manage and develop all staff from the Student Voice Department ensuring effective recruitment, induction and on-going development within the organisation.
- You will develop significant departmental expertise in Higher Education policy and all topical issues affecting students in order to provide information, insight and analysis to elected Officers, representatives and colleagues,
- To lead The Union’s contribution to performance in academic league tables.
- You will oversee The Union’s work in academic quality and further establish students as partners in the creation of their own experiences.
Who you are
- Someone with a strategic approach to work and an enhanced understanding of membership or public engagement and its application, you already have significant experience gained either through paid employment or volunteering roles.
- You have experience of managing staff teams and/or projects.
- Your ability to work under pressure with a can-do attitude and a flexible way of working; will enable you to stay calm in a hectic environment and be totally at home managing and prioritising a complex and varied range of representative projects and initiatives on time and to budget.
- You put your excellent interpersonal skills to great use in building relationships and working effectively with people at all levels and have an excellent understanding of the principles of governance and democracy coupled with experience of campaign management.
- With an understanding of academic quality processes and their application within universities, you are also aware of the issues relating to participation and involvement in the higher education environment and you’re used to writing reports and briefings for senior staff.