AboutAbout us We are an independent charity that exists to represent the needs and views of all 37,000 plus students at Manchester Metropolitan University. There has been a Students’ Union for what we now call Manchester Metropolitan University since the 1920s. Over the last one hundred years, the role of The Union and the part it plays in student education and wellbeing has grown and developed into the organisation we are today. Students are at the heart of what we do.
- Would you like the opportunity to help develop a landmark pub in the heart of Manchester?
- Run by The Union, Manchester Met, The Salutation is one of Manchester’s most historic pubs, one of only two in the city with original 1840’s décor.
- Working within an inclusive, empowering and aspirational culture, you’ll be instrumental in raising the profile of The Salutation by championing service excellence, creating an events and promotions programme and by using social media to increase online presence.
- The Salutation - Established in 1840, with over 170 years of history, The Salutation is widely known as one of Manchester’s most historic pubs. This venue boasts an authentic Victorian décor all restored from its original state.
- In 2011, Manchester Metropolitan University purchased the pub from Punch Taverns and in June 2013, The Union took control of running the pub to re-establish its reputation as a city landmark.
- In the summer of 2014, a £235,000 refurbishment of the building took place, which saw many of the original features retained to restore the character and ambience of the pub. During this time, the letting rooms upstairs were converted into function rooms available to book for all types of meetings and intimate events.
- The pub is now home to students, university staff and the public. With our commitment to real ale, a cosy beer garden and many varied events, this is the ultimate pub on anyone’s bucket list.
What’s the job?
- We are looking for someone to support our Food & Beverage Manager in the management of food and beverage operations at The Salutation, acting as duty manager and growing the customer base.
- With a strong commitment to highest standards of customer care, you’ll oversee the staff team, ensuring that The Salutation is welcoming and demonstrate personal integrity and professionalism at all times.
- With experience of a similar role, you will be responsible for booking entertainment, managing stock and assets, budget management and compliance with licensing requirements.
Who you are
- Above all else, you will have a passion for, and maintain an excellent understanding of, all things associated with the hospitality industry.
- Independent and self-reliant, you will already have experience of duty management in a high volume licensed trading environment and will be able to manage your own working time and workload and that of your staff team effectively.
- Being customer-orientated; you will have a flexible approach to working in line with operational and customer demand.
- Your professional and courteous manner, combined with your excellent interpersonal skills, enable you to build relationships and work effectively with people at all levels.
- You have a keen understanding of cellar management, drink dispense systems and the principles of food safety and health and safety in a pub, bar or nightclub environment.