AboutAbout us We are an independent charity that exists to represent the needs and views of all 37,000 plus students at Manchester Metropolitan University. There has been a Students’ Union for what we now call Manchester Metropolitan University since the 1920s. Over the last one hundred years, the role of The Union and the part it plays in student education and wellbeing has grown and developed into the organisation we are today. Students are at the heart of what we do.
- Would you like the opportunity to work within a landmark pub in the heart of Manchester?
- Run by The Union, Manchester Met, The Salutation is one of Manchester’s most historic pubs, one of only two in the city with original 1840’s décor.
- Working within an inclusive, empowering and aspirational culture, you’ll support the Head Chef with the development of The Union’s food service operation and supervision of the catering staff team in The Salutation.
- The Salutation - Established in 1840, with over 170 years of history, The Salutation is widely known as one of Manchester’s most historic pubs. This venue boasts an authentic Victorian décor all restored from its original state.
- In 2011, Manchester Metropolitan University purchased the pub from Punch Taverns and in June 2013, The Union took control of running the pub to re-establish its reputation as a city landmark.
- In the summer of 2014, a £235,000 refurbishment of the building took place, which saw many of the original features retained to restore the character and ambience of the pub. During this time, the letting rooms upstairs were converted into function rooms available to book for all types of meetings and intimate events.
- The pub is now home to students, university staff and the public. With our commitment to real ale, a cosy beer garden and many varied events, this is the ultimate pub on anyone’s bucket list.
What’s the job?
- We are looking for someone to take a leading role in the preparation of meals in The Salutation, assisting in the development of new menus, specials and other related offers.
- You will oversee the running of The Salutation kitchen, leading a team of student staff and assisting them in their development and encouraging them to develop their product knowledge
- You will ensure consistent quality and standards in the preparation, production and presentation of all food products: maximising profitability through driving sales and managing and controlling costs, stock, and margin effectively
Who you are
- With experience of working in a similar role in a comparable environment, you’re able to prepare meals using fresh ingredients and are up-to-date with current trends and recent commercial developments in the food service industry.
- Highly motivated and results-oriented with drive and determination, you are able to work effectively on your own initiative.
- You are confident holding responsibility for kitchen premises and have a good knowledge of H&S, fire safety and food hygiene legislation.
- Positive about working in a student-led environment, you have the ability to lead and motivate a team of student staff