AboutAbout us We are an independent charity that exists to represent the needs and views of all 37,000 plus students at Manchester Metropolitan University. There has been a Students’ Union for what we now call Manchester Metropolitan University since the 1920s. Over the last one hundred years, the role of The Union and the part it plays in student education and wellbeing has grown and developed into the organisation we are today. Students are at the heart of what we do.
- Could you raise the profile of project-based community volunteering and social action at The Union, Manchester Met?
- Working within an inclusive, empowering and aspirational culture, you’ll build partnerships and collaborations to facilitate the development of a range of project-based community opportunities and social action projects for our students.
- Who are we? Part business, part charity, part membership body – The Union is a seriously fun place to work. Professionally run, but different. Our professional team of over 150 people support elected student leaders to be effective in making change, improving lives and fulfilling potential. Winner of the NUS Campaigning Award 2017, The Union is one of more than 550 students’ unions across the country. We’re located in the amazing city of Manchester, famous for its music, arts, sport, social heritage and diversity. With 38,000 plus student members, 150 student groups, a huge range of services and a bold strategy, we’re one of the most exciting.
What’s the job?
We are looking for someone to work with our Volunteering & Community Action Manager to deliver our strategic objectives in volunteering and community action.
- With passion for the development of students/young people and the value of volunteering, you will work with students and colleagues across The Union and University to establish student involvement in community volunteering and social action.
- You’ll play a key role in communicating with volunteers and the reward and recognition of volunteers in the community.
Who you are
- With knowledge of the voluntary sector gained through volunteering or paid employment, you have a keen understanding of the motivations and expectations of volunteers.Your experience of managing community projects and organising volunteers has equipped you with knowledge and understanding of good practice in volunteer management and safeguarding.
- You are in tune with sector trends and good practice in engaging young people and/or students in community volunteering.
- You are at ease managing your working time effectively and prioritising projects appropriately, you’ll stay calm in a sometimes hectic environment.
- You will also put your excellent interpersonal skills to great use in building relationships and working effectively with people at all levels and are experienced at working collaboratively with other organisations