AboutAbout us We are an independent charity that exists to represent the needs and views of all 37,000 plus students at Manchester Metropolitan University. There has been a Students’ Union for what we now call Manchester Metropolitan University since the 1920s. Over the last one hundred years, the role of The Union and the part it plays in student education and wellbeing has grown and developed into the organisation we are today. Students are at the heart of what we do.
- Would you like the opportunity to further your career, working with fresh ingredients in a modern, busy kitchen at The Union, Manchester Met?
- Working within an inclusive, empowering and aspirational culture, you’ll assist the Head Chef and Sous Chef in the smooth running of The Union’s food service operation.
- Part business, part charity, part membership body – The Union is a seriously fun place to work. Professionally run, but different. Our professional team of 150 people support elected student leaders to be effective in making change, improving lives and fulfilling potential. The winner of the NUS Campaigning Award 2017, The Union is one of more than 550 students’ unions across the country. We’re located in the amazing city of Manchester, famous for its music, arts, sport, social heritage and diversity. With 38,000 plus student members, 150 student groups, a huge range of services and a bold strategy, we’re one of the most exciting.
What’s the job?
- We are looking for someone to support the Head Chef and Sous Chef in supervising and assisting with the cooking and preparation of meals to be served in The Union’s food outlets and conferencing facilities.
- With experience of a similar role, you will ensure consistent quality and standards in the preparation, production and presentation of food products.
- You will supervise the work of part-time student staff assisting their development and ensuring that high standards of performance are maintained.
- You will ensure consistent quality and standards in the preparation, production and presentation of all food products and comply with The Union’s internal procedures and all external legal requirements.
Who you are
- Up-to-date with current industry trends and recent commercial developments in the food service industry, you are familiar with kitchen premises and have a good knowledge of relevant H&S, fire safety and food hygiene legislation.
- Highly motivated and results-oriented with drive and determination, you are able to work effectively under pressure without close supervision.
- You are customer focused and prepared to work flexibly to meet with customer demand.