AboutWe exist to make student life better for our members: every Goldsmiths student. We're here for them throughout their student life, providing activities, events, societies and sports, as well as support and advice through tougher times.
Title: HR Manager
Reporting to: Interim Chief Exec (Subject to change)
Responsibility for staff: N/A
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Contract Length: Permanent
Annual Leave: 24 days per year
Location: New Cross, London / Remote Working Options
Purpose of the Job
To establish credibility in the organisation as an HR expert and skilled problem solver. To influence both people and culture and drive positive organisational change. To provide coaching, support and challenge to line managers in the application of HR policies and procedures. To work with the senior management team and to coach, influence and build capability and leadership skills of elected student officers. To establish credibility in the organisation as an HR expert and skilled problem solver.
Policy and Practice
· Develop, and implement HR policies and procedures, ensuring they meet both current legislation and HR best practices and that make it easy for staff and managers to self-serve on hr processes and access support where needed.
· Support Goldsmiths SU to make informed decisions using robust HR information and people data, identifying trends and making recommendations to address any identified issues Work with the Senior Leadership Team and Trustee Board to develop and implement the people strategy that is aligned to Goldsmiths SU’s wider organisational plans for growth and development.
· Work with external providers as when needed, e.g. solicitors on sensitive employee relation issues
Culture and Environment
· Provide guidance to senior leadership on areas of high risk
· Engaging with managers to build capacity and capability in dealing effectively with employee relations matters
· Advise and assist the Office Coordinator with recruitment and selection process.
· Maintain an up to date knowledge in employment law and HR best practice briefing colleagues on relevant changes as required. Support and develop our SU to be an inclusive employer, promoting awareness and embedding approaches to equality, diversity and inclusion
· Contribute to the development of Goldsmiths SUs operating plan, working in conjunction with relevant departments across the organisation to achieve agreed objectives.
· Promote staff wellbeing and arrange a range of activities through the year to support this.
· Support and develop our SU to be an inclusive employer, promoting awareness and embedding approaches to equality, diversity and inclusion
· Lead and/or support, as appropriate, on consultative discussions and negotiations with the recognised trade union or regional officials, if appropriate
· Assess the staff survey results, and make recommendations to address concerns and create a transparent and effective approach to support staff voice and engagement.
· Introduce clear and robust employee relations processes
Learning & Development
· Work with relevant staff to ensure the effective provision of appropriate induction and learning and development activity, for all staff, trustees and elected officers including equality and diversity training.
· Support the development of Goldsmiths SU’s appraisal process
· Develop and administer a robust development plan for Line Managers and Sabbatical Officers to aid their continued growth to include HR best practice, risks and tribunals
· Work with line and senior managers to develop personal development plans, identifying appropriate learning and development solutions which meet organisational needs.
In addition, all staff have the following general duties laid out in their job descriptions:
· To deliver and develop targets outlined in the Union’s strategic plan.
· To contribute and assist in the Union’s planning processes and the review of its performance and systems.
· Contribute to the positive and professional image of the Union and not act in such a manner as to bring the Union into disrepute.
· To observe and uphold the requirements of the Union Constitution and act at all times in accordance with policies including equality of opportunity.
· To undertake your own typing, filing, photocopying etc.
· Undertake any other duties appropriate for the grade and responsibilities of the post that may from time to time be reasonably requested.
· To take ownership of, their Induction, Personal Review Programme, Departmental Staff Meetings and be responsible for carrying out duties with full regard to the rules, policies and procedures and conditions of service contained in the Staff Handbook, and within Departments of the Students’ Union.
· A condition of employment is that all staff are expected to assist in key events throughout the year e.g. Welcome Week and welcome festivals and any other key event, including elections, if necessary
· Staff are expected to portray a positive image, both internally and externally of the Students’ Union by displaying high standards of service, integrity, punctuality, politeness and professionalism.
· Where you are required to work with volunteers you must support and manage them appropriately in line with the Students’ Union volunteer policy
· Environmental consideration and environmental best practice is the responsibility of all Students’ Union staff