AboutSt George's Students' Union is a democratically run organisation, and is led by the annually elected “top 3 officers”: president, vp education and welfare, vp student activities and experience. The 'top 3' are supported by a team of student volunteers know as 'the exec' and between them they ensure that the SU's annual objectives are achieved. In 2017, following extensive research and feedback from our students, we launched our 5 year strategy which will guide St George's Students' Union to becoming a well run and inspirational union. Your Plan, Your Future, Our Union 2023, sets out how we plan to develop and strengthen the support and activities that we offer to students.
The Shop at George’s (“the shop”) is one of the trading outlets of the St George’s Students’ Union Trading Company Ltd., serving students and staff of the university, as well as hospital staff, visitors and members of the general public who pass through the hospital and university site.
The shop operates on a commercial, profit-generating basis, however all surpluses are retained by the Students’ Union to support student welfare and activities. The shop is located on the ground floor of Hunter Wing in the main foyer of the University, and stocks a wide variety of stationery, confectionery, clothing, drinks, sandwiches, snacks and convenience foods.
The shop supervisor has responsibility for managing the shop floor, serving customers, maintaining stock levels, ordering stock and managing casual student staff on the shop floor.
We are looking for someone who is professional but will also fit into the flexible style of working we have in the shop.
The hours for this role are 17.5 hours a week (or 70 hours a month), the shop is closed at weekends and on public holidays.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Day to day management of the casual student staff, ensuring they are undertaking their duties on the shop floor appropriately
- Training and induction of new casual student staff alongside the assistant shop manager
- Operating the cash tills, providing positive and strong customer service at all times
- Opening the store in the mornings, opening the tills and ensuring the float for the day is correct
- Closing the store in the evenings, cashing up the tills and following the security procedures for locking up
- Liaison with supplier delivery staff, ensuring that goods delivered are appropriately documented on delivery notes and match orders placed
- Maintaining stock levels on the shop floor, and ordering stock as required by the assistant shop manager
- Work with the assistant shop manager and shop manager to drive forward improvements based on customer insight and feedback
- Deal with complaints in the store, supporting casual student staff with complaints raised with them if required
- Handle and address complaints from staff in an appropriate manner and liaise with management where escalation is needed
- Proactively ensure the shop floor is clean, tidy and looks professional throughout the day
- Other tasks on occasion as required by the shop manager and/or assistant shop manager
The opening hours of the Shop at George’s are usually 7.30am-6pm Monday to Friday (currently 8am–5pm), excluding bank holidays and University closure days. The shop supervisor will be contracted to work 17.5 hours per week with the hours varying as needed according to the staff rota (which is managed by the shop manager) to ensure appropriate staff cover at all times. On occasion additional hours may be required to fulfill the duties of the job. In such instances overtime will be payable at the hourly salaried rate.
St George’s Students’ Union (SGSU) is the recognised body which represents all the students who study at St George’s, University of London. Students become automatic members of the Union when they join the University and SGSU has academic, social and welfare responsibilities for its members, with the purpose of ensuring that all students are supported and represented so that they have the best experience possible whilst studying at the University. SGSU is co-located with the University at the St George’s Hospital NHS Foundation Trust site in Tooting, South London. Whilst the Union holds a very close relationship with the University, SGSU is a separate legal entity to the University, being a registered charity with a wholly owned Ltd. trading subsidiary.
- Experience working in a retail/customer facing environment is desirable
- Experience of managing others is desirable
- Strong communication skills are essential
- Strong mathematics skills, and ability to accurately open and cash up the till systems are essential
- Knowledge of the EposNow till system is desirable
- Good team player
- Enthusiastic and able to set a positive example to staff members within the shop
- Able to use own initiative when managing situations in the store that may arise