AboutUniversity of Leicester Students’ Union As a charity representing over 22000 students, we provide a wide range of services and opportunities to empower, support and represent the students of the University of Leicester. We support the delivery of a diverse range of student-led activities, we campaign about issues that matter to our members, we work collaboratively to improve the student experience in matters of welfare and education and we provide opportunities to develop the future leaders of tomorrow.
The post will play a key role in developing structures, policies, procedures and systems that ensure high quality outputs and an outstanding volunteer experience across the full spectrum of activity run by the department.
- To line manage the staff of the Activities & Volunteering Department and provide support for the delivery of sabbatical officer projects.
- To oversee the Activities budget, and provide support for the staff advising on the student-led budgets in the area.
- To identify, develop and co-ordinate additional sources of income for the Activities & Volunteering Department.
- To lead on implementing strategic planning in the Student Activities & Volunteering Department, in accordance with Union strategic objectives.
- To lead the Activities & Volunteering Department in creating a culture of excellence in customer service, ensuring that students’ needs and expectations are effectively identified, measured and met.
- To establish clear procedures and standards for the Activities & Volunteering Department and coordinate the work of staff within the department.
- To ensure the department complies with all relevant legislation in charitable fundraising, community volunteering and health & safety.
- To play an active role within the Students’ Union Managerial Team.
To line manage the staff of the Activities & Volunteering Department and provide support for the delivery of Executive Officer projects:
- To coordinate the recruitment, selection and induction of departmental staff as required in conjunction with HR guidelines.
- To identify training needs of staff and implement strategies for the professional and personal development of staff
- To manage staff in accordance with the Union’s personnel procedures, to promote a positive working environment and motivated staff.
- Provide support and development meetings for sabbatical officers delivering projects related to the Activities & Volunteering Department; particularly the Activities Officer and Sports Officer.
- Providing support for departmental staff in their supervision of student staff
To oversee the Student Activities & Volunteering Department’s budget, and provide support for the staff advising on the student-led budgets in the area:
- To set prudent expenditure budgets that minimise costs whilst maximising provision.
- To adhere to the financial regulations and all other relevant policies and procedures of the Students’ Union.
- To be accountable for the security of all physical resources in the Activities & Volunteering Department
- Work in conjunction with the Lead Officers for the department to set fundraising targets and budgets for events.
- Oversee the use of externally generated income and report against funding
- Provide advice and support for departmental staff in managing the student-led budgets and authorise payments to and from these accounts
To identify, develop and co-ordinate additional sources of income for the Activities & Volunteering department:
- To identify relevant external funding opportunities wherever possible
- To work with relevant Union staff members in bidding for and securing external funding streams to enhance volunteering and fundraising activities within the unit
- To develop and implement self-help provision to enable student leaders to obtain externals sources of funding for their groups.
To lead on implementing strategic planning in the Student Activities & Volunteering department in accordance with Union strategic objectives:
- To lead on business planning in relation to strategic objectives and planning.
- To advise on short, medium and long term operational improvements in recognition of the Union’s strategic aims and future planning framework
- To make recommendations and prepare departmental development plans in line with organisational plans and objectives.
- To play a primary role in facilitating the elected objectives of the Activities Officer and Sports Officer
To lead the department in creating a culture of excellence in customer service, ensuring that students’ needs and expectations are effectively identified, measured and met:
- Promote a culture of high quality customer service in the unit.
- To ensure that all relevant areas of the Union website and social media presence are kept up to date and that departmental communications are relevant and up-to-date
- To research sector trends and evaluate student feedback in order to generate continual improvement
- Develop and deliver training for students involved in the running of the unit, where appropriate.
- Support the lead officers in the department, through the various representative structures
- To work with colleagues in other membership services areas to promote joint ventures
- Sustain and develop partnerships with external organisations who can help the organisation achieve its objectives
- Research and advise on models of best practice in the student activities and volunteering sector
Establish clear procedures and standards for the Student Activities & Volunteering Department and coordinate the work of staff within the department:
- To have a good working understanding of Union policy and provide advice for students and staff where needed
- To develop and set benchmarking standards and monitor them regularly
- To develop and deliver a volunteering strategy that ensures excellence and parity of experience across all areas of the unit.
- To identify, develop and implement plans to reach formal nationally recognised accreditation for Investing in Volunteers.
To ensure the department complies with all relevant legislation in charitable fundraising, community volunteering and health & safety:
- Act as the appointed lead for all Health and Safety throughout the department, overseeing the relevant policies and procedures.
- Ensure all fundraising activity undertaken by student groups complies with Charity Law
- Produce periodic briefings for the Senior Management Team and Executive Officers summarising any concerns surrounding legality in departmental activity
Health and Safety:
- Be aware of, and at all times comply with, all relevant policies and procedures and all relevant statutory responsibilities including fire safety arrangements, Health and Safety issues including moving and handling, COSHH regulations, etc.
- Be required at all times to develop and maintain positive working relationships with colleagues, students, contractors, external stakeholders and all other individuals they come into contact with in the course of their duties.
- Maintain at all times any confidential or sensitive information they are privy to in the course of their duties which must not be shared with any unauthorised person unless expressly permitted to do so.
- Conform at all times to LSU Policies and Procedures with close attention being paid to Equal Opportunities and Equality & Diversity.
- Be flexible and adaptable where necessary in order to meet the ongoing service needs of LSU.
- Carry out any other reasonable duty requested of them as appropriate within the parameter of their role.