AboutLeeds Beckett Students’ Union began life in 1970 as Leeds Polytechnic Students’ Union. We’ve grown a bit since then and changed our name but our purpose remains the same: to ensure all students at Leeds Beckett University have a voice, get the most out of their time at University and fulfil their potential. Our Purpose We exist to support an excellent student experience at Leeds Beckett University. We do this through providing and supporting course reps, volunteering opportunities, societies, events and entertainments; campaigning with and on behalf of students; offering support, employability skills, advice and information. Our Vision To make students’ lives better.
Our ideal candidate can work well with a wide range of stakeholders and is committed to delivering the very best results. We seek an individual who is confident in an employment setting that can vary from direct engagement with students to focussed desk-based work and who has a keen desire to learn other relevant skills to develop for the role.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated individual to help coordinate and support the Students’ Union’s democratic processes and systems of student engagement, ensuring that students are able to express their ideas and opinions in order to effect change on their courses, within the University, and in the wider community. This role will be held within the Student Voice & Insight Team.
The student voice shapes what we do as a Union and the Student Voice & Insight Team exists to make sure that students’ needs and ideas are supported while they study at Leeds Beckett. Student Voice is about having their say, campaigning on issues that matter to them and getting their voice heard at all levels of the Students’ Union and the University. We do this in a variety of ways including academic representation, policy and ideas, campaigning, elections, our democratic structures and more, including research, consultation, training and development opportunities.
Hours: 37 per week (full time)
Application Closes: 25 April 2021 @ 23:59
Interview Date: 11 May 2021
Expected Start Date: Mid-June
- To coordinate the Union’s involvement in the academic representation program.
- To coordinate the Union’s involvement in the election, training and support of student representatives.
- To enhance the Union’s change-making activities and maximise the voice of students, through facilitation of Union
campaigns and lobbying activity.
- To administer systems that allow students to engage with the Union through digital methods, such as our online
student feedback tool.
- To coordinate the program of events and activities that support the Union’s student engagement work, including
any relevant forums, conferences or meetings.
- To develop new initiatives that enable us to more effectively listen to and act upon student feedback.
- To work with the elected student representatives to facilitate opportunities for face-to-face engagement with
students across all University campuses.
- To undertake basic level research activity to support the wider research & insight work of the team.
- To support the work of the team to enhance students’ opportunities to engage through equality, diversity &
inclusion activities, student communities and other initiatives.
- To be familiar with all aspects of the work of the Student Voice & Insight team and be able to contribute to these
Interviews will be held over a digital communication channel in order to ensure the health and safety of all candidates and the interview panel. Candidates will be expected to have a stable internet connection and working camera and microphone for their interview.
We offer our staff members a bountiful benefits package, including flexi-time, paid volunteering leave, 2-weeks off at Christmas, discounted gym membership, 25% off food and drink at our venues, and much, MUCH, more!
Previously shortlisted applicants need not apply.