AboutA community of all Imperial College London students working to achieve the best experience for every student and helping every member realise their potential. Every one of our members – the students of Imperial College London – is able to lead, create and influence change in every one of our activities, campaigns and services.
Are you passionate about customer service? We are looking for an experienced Retail Supervisor to join our busy Commercial Services retail team and help us deliver our ambitious and exciting plans!
Are you an individual who is:
- Passionate about customer service?
- An enthusiastic and motivational leader?
- Knowledgeable of retail trends?
- A stickler for quality and standards?
- Experienced in retail?
If you answered ‘yes’ to all the above, then we want to hear from you!
We are currently looking for an experienced Retail Supervisor to join our busy Commercial Services retail team and help us deliver our ambitious and exciting plans! The post-holder will be expected to assist the Retail Manager and Assistant Retail Manager in managing the Union’s retail outlets and online shop, which sell a variety of branded and non-branded goods including food-to-go, drinks, snacks & confectionary, clothes, stationery, electronic goods, and gifts.
About Imperial College Union
Imperial College Union is a vibrant, member-led charity organisation comprising the 18,000+ students at Imperial College London – one of the world’s top universities. Students automatically become members when they enrol and the Union ensures they have the best possible experience through the provision of support services, development programmes, extracurricular and recreational activities, whilst representing the student voice to College and beyond.
The Union delivers an incredible range of activities including 370+ clubs and societies, Commercial Services including catering, 4 bars, a nightclub and shops; an Advice Centre, Reception, as well as spaces for student activities including a gym, cinema and concert hall. Our South Kensington offices are set within a picturesque quadrangle next door to the Royal Albert Hall and a minute’s walk from Hyde Park.
We are an energetic, professional organisation offering great development opportunities for talented people who will help us deliver for our members.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To assist the Retail Manager and Retail Assistant Manager in overseeing all operational aspects of the Union’s Retail Trade provision
- To provide leadership and support to the retail team, including assisting with staff training and dealing with performance issues
- To ensure a culture of customer service excellence
- To purchase stock for the outlets, as directed by the Retail Manager, and liaise with suppliers as necessary
- To ensure all standard operational procedures are carried out and accurate administrative records are held for audit purposes
- To maintain housekeeping, merchandise presentation, stock replenishment and ticketing standards to the highest level
- To organise staffing levels, within the agreed budget, as directed by the Retail Manager
- To ensure effective stock management and stock control processes are carried out
- To open/close the retail units as directed
- To always ensure the security of stock and keys
- To ensure Health & Safety procedures are adhered to all times
- Demonstrable record of leading, motivating and supervising staff to achieve excellent results
- A record of working with and forging successful partnerships with a wide range of stakeholders
- Experience of stock ordering through external suppliers to cove peak trading
- A knowledge of Health & Safety legislation
- An understanding of retail trends and the changing nature of the retail market
- Ability to use own initiative with limited supervision, to deal with problems which may hinder the delivery of an effective service
- Competent user of IT including spreadsheets, Microsoft Office, and E-commerce
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to relate to people at all levels
- Sound judgement and the ability to handle competing priorities
- A confident, resourceful individual who can operate in a challenging environment
As an employee of Imperial College, you will be part of lively community and work in a friendly and relaxed environment. Our aim is to provide to all our employees a supportive and relaxed working environment with an emphasis on personal development and work-life balance.
Based on that we offer:
- Flexible working hours
- Generous pension scheme
- 25 days holiday (plus 6/7 extra days per year for College Christmas and Easter closures)
- Bicycle loan scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Health benefits
- Excellent professional development opportunities and many more.
More information can be found on the Imperial College Benefits page: http://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs/benefits/
To apply for this role please complete the online application form.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact Ashley Cory (Director of Support Services) at [email protected]
For technical issues when applying online, please contact: [email protected]
Closing date: 29th of May 2023 at 12.00pm
Interviews to take place: 6th & 7th of June