AboutWhen you enrol at the University of Hertfordshire you don't just join the uni, you also become a member of Hertfordshire Students' Union. That's us! We're here to support you on your student journey and make sure it's the best it can be. The Students' Union is led by the Elected Officers and underpinned by a passionate team of staff. We are a registered charity, completely independent from the University. Your free membership with Herts SU gives you access to all of our services. This means you can benefit from academic representation, advice & support, events, opportunities and a world class entertainments venue. Whatever you're studying, wherever you are, your SU has something for you.
Job Title: Student Development Coordinator
Responsible to: Student Development Manager
Responsible for: The post holder will supervise student staff.
Responsible to: The post holder reports to the Student Development Manager as well as working closely with other staff, Students’ Union Managers, Senior Managers and Elected Officers.
Contacts: The post holder will work with students, Students’ Union Managers and senior managers, staff and elected officers and University staff.
Purpose: To lead on the Union’s training and development projects as well as providing administration support to student-led extra-curricular activities.
The Role: The role will develop and support to help enhance UH students’ experience, manage and develop the training programme for, facilitate tailored representation initiatives, such as the Rise Up programme. Work closely with the societies coordinator to provide support on student queries, events, and operational support.
Key role requirements:
This role offers an exciting opportunity for an individual interested in leading the development of students through dedicated training, including our Rise Up programme and the Skills Development Programme. This role will also assist with key training opportunities within departments for student roles. You will support in developing new initiatives to support students to thrive in their volunteer and paid roles, within student groups and within the activities and initiative we provide.
Our vision at Hertfordshire Students’ Union is that we put students first. Our Student Development team is a core part of our vision, and the role of Student Development Project Coordinator is essential in empowering our students to enhance their skills, and make the most of their time at University.
We’re looking for someone who lives our everyday values of innovation, collaboration and friendliness whilst ensuring our students’ union is truly representative of Herts students. We encourage our team to have fun at work while never losing sight of our vision.
We go above and beyond for our students and each other – we’re committed to providing excellent service across the board and we support each other to prioritise this every day.
We encourage applications from students with a diversity of backgrounds and experiences to reflect the current student population. We welcome all applications regardless of a persons’ race, sex, disability, religion/beliefs, sexual orientation, or age.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Manage the training budget alongside the Student Development Manager.
- Lead and deliver the Skills Development Programme, empowering our students to develop the skills needed for university and beyond.
- Ensure the smooth delivery of the core programme in addition to working with internal and external departments to offer additional sessions tailored to student interests.
- Work with SU departments to encourage student leaders to sign up for sessions.
- Work with SU departments to assist the delivery and organisation of role specific trainings.
- In collaboration with WASS and Careers, facilitate our Rise Up programme aimed at supporting students from a BAME background the opportunity to develop employment and life skills, confidence, and networks.
- Lead the ongoing development and organisation of Rise Up, including, identifying speakers, booking rooms, communicating with students and staff.
- Work alongside the HSU BAME Advocate to ensure training opportunities are inclusive.
- Collaborate with the Go Herts Awards to ensure those attending are benefiting from the Award.
- Assist the development and delivery of the Elected Officers training both at induction and throughout the year.
- Support on the growth and development of all student groups, supporting them to develop their initiatives, encourage collaboration and further contribute to the campus and local community life.
- Develop and lead the support of Student Networks, including comprehensive training, ongoing year-long support, and obtaining feedback from underrepresented groups.
- Facilitating training sessions for all student group committee members and lead on their election and handover processes.
- Edit and maintain parts of the website and produce newsletters, leaflets, handbooks, and other publicity material to agreed deadlines when required.
- Support all societies in the organisation and development of their activities, in addition to encouraging event collaboration with other student groups and the Students’ Union.
- Keep abreast of relevant national and local developments, changes in legislation, and good practice and attend conferences, training events and meetings, as necessary.
- Have a flexible approach to work and to undertake any other reasonable duties which may be required.
- Always aspire to the highest standards of customer care and, in conjunction with other relevant Union staff, to identify and respond to customer needs.
- Always respect the democratic structure of the Students’ Union.
- Always abide by Hertfordshire Students’ Union Memorandum and Articles of Association, and Union Policies and Procedures.
- Provide support for the Students’ Union’s Elections and democratic meetings to drive diversity and representation.
- Work to always promote a positive image of Hertfordshire Students’ Union.
- Set high standards of integrity, punctuality, accuracy, politeness, and professionalism.
- Be aware of the department’s impact on the environment and to work within the environmental policies of the Union and the University (where applicable).
- Commitment to maintaining healthy accounts within the Student Voice Department.
This document outlines the general duties required for the time being for the post of Training and Development Coordinator. This is neither a comprehensive or exhaustive list and the duties may be varied from time to time and may be changed and be added to or deducted from. Any changes will not alter the general character of the job and/or level of seniority or responsibility, unless following on from discussion and agreement.
Student Development Coordinator
- Educated to Degree level or equivalent (A)
- Ability to identify and implement improvements in all projects (A/I)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to communicate at all levels (A/I/P)
- Experience of delivering communications using a range of resources and channels (I/P)
- Ability to create and maintain strong working relationships with a wider range of people including staff, students and external providers (I/P)
- Ability to overcome hurdles and problems in a constructive manner (I/P)
- Reliable and friendly (I/P)
- Outstanding customer service skills (I)
- Ability to work under pressure (I)
- Able to work evenings and weekends as required (A/I)
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic (I)
- Punctual and well organised (I)
- A good team player and pro-active (I)
- Facilitative of others’ ideas and non-judgemental (I)
- Commitment to Equal Opportunities and understanding of its relevance to Students’ Unions (I)