AboutWhen you enrol at the University of Hertfordshire you don't just join the uni, you also become a member of Hertfordshire Students' Union. That's us! We're here to support you on your student journey and make sure it's the best it can be. The Students' Union is led by the Elected Officers and underpinned by a passionate team of staff. We are a registered charity, completely independent from the University. Your free membership with Herts SU gives you access to all of our services. This means you can benefit from academic representation, advice & support, events, opportunities and a world class entertainments venue. Whatever you're studying, wherever you are, your SU has something for you.
Hertfordshire Students’ Union are welcoming applications for a Bars Manager.
As a recently refurbished venue that is always adapting and ready for change, this is an exciting time to join us on our journey. We are an openminded organisation that believes in being agile in our approach to all situations.
The Forum is a widely respected venue located at the heart of the College Lane campus on the University of Hertfordshire Campus in Hatfield and has recently undergone a multi-million-pound redevelopment project. We want to provide our venue users the best possible experience, with a wide range of events and activities.
This post holder will be integral to the Commercial team, leading our bar operation and managing the club on a rota basis. We are looking for someone who is naturally creative and has a passion for social media and all digital communication channels. You will be joining a high performing team that fully invests in all projects to ensure our success.
Our primary club nights operate on a Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday with other hires around this. It is a student focused space and we want to provide them with the best possible student experience. You will have the opportunity to support student events, but also a large group of student staff for whom you can train, support and develop.
Supported by the Forum Operations Manager, you will also be supported by the wider Herts SU management team and become a member of the wider staff team, which will also come with the wider staff benefits. As an organisation we value personal development and we will look to train and invest in you with both continuous professional development and formal qualifications, relevant to the role.
We have huge ambitions for the venue and are excited by the opportunities the redevelopment gives us. We have a fresh canvas to work from and would like the right person to join us.
We look forward to receiving your application.
Job Title: Bars Manager
Salary: £25,000 Depending on experience
Location: College Lane Campus – Hatfield
Responsible for: The post holder will supervise student staff and liaise with contractors.
Responsible to: The post holder reports to the Operations Manager as well as working closely with other staff, Students’ Union Managers and Elected Officers.
Contacts: The post holder will come into contact with students, Students’ Union Managers, staff and elected officers and University staff. external companies, external clients, local authorities and agencies
Vision: Our vision at Hertfordshire Students’ Union is to help students love their life at Herts. Our Commercial team is a core part of our vision so we can continue to put students at the heart of every service we run on behalf of students at the University of Hertfordshire.
Values: We are a truly values-led organisation. As such, we’re looking for someone who lives our HERTS values of being helpful, empowering, representative, transparent and student-focused. We encourage our team to have fun at work while never losing sight of our vision.
Service Excellence: We go above and beyond for our students and each other – we’re committed to providing excellent service across the board and we support each other to prioritise this every day.
Equality and Diversity Commitment
Hertfordshire Students’ Union is committed to diversity and inclusion amongst its staff, reflecting the communities it serves. We welcome applications from Black, Asian and ethnic minority backgrounds, as they are underrepresented within the Union’s professional staff team. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Key role requirements:
- To support the effective co-ordination and delivery of the licensed venues run by HSU in a safe and professional manner in line with commercial objectives.
- To uphold the licensing objectives and relevant legislation of the HSU Venue ensuring the exemplary standards in line with local, national legislation and government guidance.
- To deliver an exceptional level of service to all users of the venue
- Complete all duties and be responsible for the venue operation in the absence of the Operations Manager.
- To duty manage venue and late-night events
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Making the venues a safe, welcoming and fun social venue on for all students to enjoy
- To undertake a share of duty management shifts on a rota pattern (days, nights & weekends Inc. national and university holidays if required)
- To operate and lead the bar function of ensuring high levels of customer service and efficiency with consistent monitoring, setting the example for all staff.
- To lead on the recruitment, training and ongoing support of part time and externally contracted staff ensuring they can excel in their role. Ensuring they are appropriately trained, met with regularly and development need identified.
- Ensure that stock management is carried out (orders, line checks, stock audits, Epos stock system, accepting and checking deliveries) and overseeing the POS function.
- Involvement in new product research and development, pricing structures and menu planning to ensure maximum profitability to the area.
- Undertake financial duties including cashing up, banking, safe checks and variance investigations within published guidelines.
- To ensure all health & safety, legislation and food hygiene is always adhered to in line with any HSU policies, procedures and safe systems of work. Contributing to a positive safety culture and ensuring incident reporting is done to an excellent standard.
- To have knowledge and monitor the venue’s performance against budget to ensure maximum efficiency is achieved.
- Ensure the venue is maintained to a high standard, ensuring faults are reported, where relevant extra cleaning is sourced and to assist with all relevant duties associated with running a night club and bar.
- To lead on all event communication including but not limited to all social media channels (Instagram, TikTok, Facebook) and student members mailing list.
- To work with graphic designers to create fun and engaging events.
- To create events on our ticketing platform and monitor ticket sales to ensure each event is maximised.
- To work with students and student groups to create relevant content.
- To be responsible for physical print and promotions for all events.
- Assist the Bars and Events Manager in the successful planning and execution of private hires.
- To assist the Community Events team on the delivery of student led events within the venue.
- To contribute to all team meetings and regularly review the effectiveness of all processes and procedures in the venue.
- Support Operations Manager in delivering entertainment and events across all licensed trade venues.
- Maintain professional relationships with university staff, suppliers, Licensing authorities, the Police and Environmental Health Officers
- To work flexibly and efficiently and to promote a positive image of Hertfordshire Students’ Union always.
- Assistance with coordination of the departments fresher’s/refreshers events as needed.
- Supporting the wider Unions activities and events during the fresher’s period including supporting the set-up/down of events and facilitating stalls and promotional stands.
- To develop and maintain contacts with colleagues within other Students’ Unions and relevant organisations, including site visits to other Students’ Unions.
- Being friendly and respectful of others in order to maintain a safe and considerate workplace in line with our values of being Helpful, Empowering, Representative, Transparent and Student-focused.
- To keep abreast of relevant national and local developments, changes in legislation, and good practice and attend conferences, training events and meetings as necessary.
- To aspire to the highest standards of customer care at all times and, in conjunction with other relevant Union staff, to identify and respond to customer needs.
- To respect the democratic structure of the Students’ Union at all times.
- To abide by Hertfordshire Students’ Union Memorandum and Articles of Association, and Union Policies and Procedures at all times.
- To set high standards of integrity, punctuality, accuracy, politeness and professionalism by personal example.
- To be aware of the department’s impact on the environment and to work within the environmental policies of the Union and the University (where applicable).
Application (A), Interview (I), Presentation (P), Test (T)
Good general education, to degree level or equivalent (A)
Extensive experience of managing a bar function and stock management and rota management (A, I, P)
Previous experience of event duty management (preferably nightclubs) (A. I. P)
Cash handling experience and point of sale experience (A, I)
Experience of managing large number of part time staff, with training and support (A, I, P)
Ability to create and maintain strong working relationships with a wider range of people including university staff and external providers (A, I)
Computer Literate (A)
Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to communicate at all levels (A)
Ability to overcome hurdles and problems in a constructive manner (A, I)
Self-motivated and self-reliant (A, I)
Punctual and well organised (A)
A good team player and pro-active with drive and enthusiasm (A, I)
Facilitative of others’ ideas and non-judgemental (A, I)
Flexible working, including evenings and weekends where required. (A)
Has a strong commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion (A, I)
Knowledge of key issues affecting students in Higher Education (A, I)
Health and Safety qualification (IOSH or NEBOSH equivalent) (A)
Personal License Holder (A)
SIA Badge Holder (A)
Previous experience of working in a democratic organisations or a Students’ Union (A, I)