AboutThe Students’ Union is a student-led charity – we focus on supporting you, bringing people together, representing your academic interests, and making opportunities to get involved. We’re led by a team of student Sabbatical Officers (sabbs) that you elect each year.
We are looking for an External Trustee to join our Board of Trustees and provide us with insight and expertise as we begin this new strategic period. We are looking for an individual who wants to make a difference and is prepared to give us some of their time to help others. We are also keen to build on the diversity work undertaken by our elected Officer team and to take this forward to every part of the organisation.
The Board of Trustees is ultimately responsible for making the big decisions about how the Union is run. The Board is comprised of elected sabbatical officers, student and external trustees – all of whom bring different types of skills, experience and expertise to the role.
As a voluntary position being a trustee involves attending at least 4 board meetings each year, plus some preparation time before each meeting. It also includes attending some internal committee meetings which are sub-committees to the Board. Our trustees are an extremely important part of our governance and play an integral role in the development of the Union.
• To contribute to the Board of Trustees role in giving firm strategic direction to the Union, agreeing and monitoring overall strategy, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
• To attend and actively contribute to Board meetings, including sub-committee meetings as necessary.
• Making sure the Union operates within and complies with its governing documents
• To ensure the Union uses its resources effectively, within its agreed aims and remit.
• To ensure the financial stability of the Union
• To safeguard the reputation and values of the Union
• To ratify the appointment of the Union’s Chief Executive Officer and to monitor their performance
• Trustees are expected to use any specific skills, knowledge of experience they have to help the board reach sound decisions, this will involve:
– Scrutinising Board papers
– Leading and contributing to discussions
– Focussing on key strategic issues
– Providing guidance on new initiatives
– Providing guidance in which the Trustee has specific expertise
• To portray a positive image, internally and externally in line with the values of the organisation