AboutOur vision - Our members to make the most of their journey at Greenwich. Our mission - We empower students to have life changing experiences, which help them shape their futures and the world around them. Our values - Empowering, Courageous, Dedicated, Trusted and Approachable. What we provide We provide support and encourage our members to get involved with the university experience as much as possible, the below are to main areas were we engage with our members. Membership Services Student Representation and Advice Commercial Services Village Shop Bar Latitude Sparrows nightclub
Students' Union, University of Greenwich is looking for an enthusiastic and hardworking individual to join the Student activities team. The Societies Development Coordinator role provides high quality support for student groups and their leaders, empowering those groups and volunteer initiatives to develop and grow their membership in order to deliver high quality activities and experiences. They will provide high quality support for student group leaders and empower the 80+ Student Groups and volunteer initiatives at Greenwich SU to develop and grow their membership and deliver high quality activities and experiences.
1 Duties and key responsibilities
- Directly support societies to grow in number and membership by providing advice, resources, support, and specialist knowledge.
- Act as a first point of contact for students interested in setting up or joining societies.
- Undertake relevant administrative tasks to provide support to student groups, including processing room bookings, activity proposal forms, and student group finance forms in line with procedures, and maintaining records.
- Coordinate communication, including drop-in sessions, to ensure society leaders are able to access the knowledge and resources to effectively lead their groups and are following procedures and policies
- Develop support resources and training for student groups in conjunction with other staff, with this role focusing on the needs for society leaders and encouraging them to diversify and develop their activities
- Provide support for student group events, activities and trips, ensuring relevant HR practices and procedures are followed
- Ensure policies and procedures are followed, including ensuring external speaker checks are completed as per procedures and reports produced as required.
- Support the Student Activities Manager to ensure that financial controls are maintained, providing reports and information as required.
- Work with relevant staff to support recognition and reward programme for student groups, including annual Awards events
- Work with relevant staff to ensure delivery of the Welcome programme of activity and other New Arrivals activities and events, ensuring that societies are engaging with the programmes of activity as appropriate
- Support the societies to utilise the Students’ Union spaces for events and work together with the commercial team to ensure the success and quality of these events
- Help develop the provision for students to set up and run student groups focused on delivering voluntary activities in the local community.
- Support the Student Activities Manager and other relevant staff and officers in developing policies and procedures to enable student groups to safely deliver voluntary activities in the local community.
- Develop appropriate support resources and training for student groups delivering voluntary activities in the local community to provide quality experiences for student volunteers and stakeholders.
- Undertake relevant administrative tasks to provide support to student group volunteering projects, including processing room bookings, activity proposal forms, and student group finance forms in line with procedures.
- Work with relevant staff to curate a programme of one-off volunteering opportunities designed to encourage growth of student group volunteering projects
- Coordinate the reward and recognition of volunteers by continuing to develop the Volunteering Toolkit
- Work alongside relevant staff to support and develop the student-led Student Media groups.
- Act as a first point of contact for Student Media group leaders for queries relating to their activities, and acting as liaison with the relevant Communications staff as needed to ensure their specialist activities are supported effectively.
- Support the Student Activities Manager and other relevant staff and officers in developing Student Media, including support for developing relevant policies and procedures and administrative support as required.
- Support VP Student Activities with administration relating to the representative meetings for societies, and other student group representative functions as appropriate.
- Administratively support the Societies Executive to achieve their manifesto aims and objectives
2 General ResponsibilitiesRepresent and be an ambassador for the Student Activities Team and wider Students’ Union
- Be flexible and carry out other associated duties as may arise, develop or be assigned in line with the broad remit of the position
- Maintain and improve competencies through continuous professional development
- Abide by organisational policies, codes of conduct and practices
- Support and promote diversity and equality of opportunity in the workplace
- Treat with confidentiality any personal, private or sensitive information about individual organisations and or clients or staff and Project data
- Any other duties commensurate with the accountability of the post
- Knowledge and understanding of issues facing today’s students
- Knowledge of requirements for supporting volunteering projects eg. Safeguarding and DBS checks
- Clear communication skills face to face and on the phone or email
- Ability to troubleshoot difficult situations, and deal with them calmly, efficiently and effectively
- Writing skills – produce reports and ability to write succinct documents on complex areas
- IT skills at a level that supports report writing, email, internet and database
- Time management and organisational skills
- Ability to engage and motivate others
- Self-motivated with the confidence to work alone but can also work co-operatively and flexibly as part of a team
- Ability to stay focused and efficient in the face on changing priorities
EDUCATION/TRAINING No one specific qualification is required, but evidence of recent continuing professional development in a professional area relevant to the post is required. For example, time management and organization, effective administration, delivering training, reporting methods. EXPERIENCE
- Relevant experience working/volunteering in a Students’ Union or a similar organisation
- Planning, delivering and evaluating training
- Coordination of a range of successful events
- Develop and maintain effective systems for collecting, collating and reporting information
- Experience of working with or coordinating diverse groups, and encouraging traditionally hard-to-reach groups
- Able to travel extensively within the Borough and Region.
- Able to work some evenings and weekends and stay overnight where necessary
- Works well in a team with a flexible approach to work
- Commitment to anti-discriminatory practice and equal opportunities. An ability to apply awareness of diversity issues to all areas of work.
- Commitment to the values and ethos of the Organisation