AboutWe're KCLSU (King’s College London Students’ Union). We're here to ensure every King's student has the best possible university experience. Students are at the heart of everything we do. We’re an organisation run by students for students. There’s more to College life than study and that’s where we come in. We’re here to ensure students have a great social life, get involved in sports and societies, have a friendly face to go to for advice, get involved in campaigns and ultimately have fun!
Summary Of Post:
To ensure that students at King’s enjoy the best possible university experience by coordinating the development of KCLSU Activities; providing support to involved students, staff and elected officers in the delivery of this key area of student life across the vibrant King’s community.
Areas of work include:
• Lead on engagement and consultation with student leaders of; Culture & Faith, Arts, Medical, Academic, Common Interest, Business & Campaigning Activity groups, providing high standards of support services to groups, offering advice and expertise
• Ensuring Activity Groups have the best possible resources, tools and support available to be able to develop and become effective student leaders, contributing to a great student experience
• To work within the broader Student Life Team striving for continuous improvement in all areas, maximising levels of performance and opportunities for student participation and development.
• To Contribute to the monitoring of the Activities budget, ensuring effective spend of budgeted sums
• Allocate Activity Group grants annually (£20,000) managing relevant budgets and effective spending of additional ‘development’ or additional College/external funding grants accordance to KCLSU financial regulations
• Process invoices or equivalent, relating to the Activities budget, where care, accuracy and security are important.
• Occasional supervision of student staff
• To contribute to the annual operating plans for Activities and identify opportunities for growth to increase overall participation and development in line with KCLSU’s strategic Vision
• To manage the new group ratification process working with the Activities Committee
• Use a range of I.T and Web systems such as Epos, MSL, Mail Chimp
• To organise various training sessions throughout the year for activity group leaders
• To support Vice President Activities and Development with new group appeals, activity forums and general support
• To organise committee handover and ensure new committee details are supplied and maintained on the central database
• Lead on the planning and delivery of Presidents & Treasurer’s Training Conference to all student leaders
• Create toolkits and resource documents to support student groups in running their groups effectively
• Lead on the planning and delivery of ‘One World Week’ to celebrate the diverse community at King’s.
• To champion the work of Activity groups, gaining wider recognition for their successes, utilising social media including; Twitter and Facebook
• Identify and develop new partnership opportunities to enable more students and Activity groups to deliver increased student–led activities.
• To ensure effective relationships with Activities leaders, ensuring communication channels are maintained efficiently to provide effective service and ensure student consultation
• Develop and manage relationships with key relevant external stakeholders, bodies, partners and funders to influence and improve Activities projects and service provision
• Undertake any other task appropriate for the grade and responsibilities of the post that may from time to time be reasonably requested.
Living our values
Be a role model for the organisation by actively demonstrating KCLSU’s values:
• People orientated – We are a professional community of individuals who work collaboratively, look for the best in others and invest in training, development and having fun together. We are friendly, helpful and respectful, recognise and applaud success, and look out for and support each other. We champion equality, celebrate diversity and make sure that KCLSU is a welcoming and safe place for everyone.
• Student-led – We take students seriously, with respect and support for our elected Officers – as colleagues and as Trustees. Students steer our strategic direction and inform our operational planning. We promote representation and democracy, encourage new and informal ways for students’ voices to be heard, respond to their concerns and ideas, tell their stories and celebrate their achievements.
• Innovative – We are imaginative, creative, resourceful and relevant. We aim to solve problems, to identify the best ways of working and to review how we do things to improve our quality and impact. We encourage students and staff to try new activities and explore new ideas, and we invest in systems and technologies to improve our services and efficiency. We want to make KCLSU a top students’ union!
• Straight forward – We are open, honest and consistent in everything we do, and make sure that our information, events and services are accessible to all King’s students. We use simple language, publish clear information, and promote easy processes and effective policies. Our work is evidence-based and evaluated, and we are happy to explain, clarify and account for what we do.
• Sustainable – We take care of our resources – people, funds, buildings and equipment, relationships and reputation – to make sure that KCLSU is happy and healthy now and in the long term for students and staff. We will continue to reduce our carbon footprint, recycle as much material as we can and minimise our negative impact on the environment.
Working Hours The minimum working week for this post is 35 hours. However, actual working hours may exceed this total and may on occasion involve some evening or weekend work. This is considered part of the contract and reflected in the grading for the post.
Additional Information The job description is current at December 2016 and should be reviewed annually. It outlines the main duties of the position and is designed for the benefit of both the post holder and KCLSU in understanding the prime functions of the post. It should not be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. In particular, given the grading and nature of the post, the responsibilities of, the post holder may well change from time to time. The post-holder may, from time to time, be required to be based at and/or work from any King’s College London site.
KCLSU has the right to vary the duties and responsibilities after consultation with you.