AboutWe're a group of over 17,000 students on a mission, an adventure to become the world’s most student-centred organisation. It’s ambitious and challenging, yet short enough to fit in a tweet.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Services department is here to ensure that students at Essex experience an incredible time and have access to high quality Venues, Retail Offerings, Events, Catering outlets and an SU run Lettings Department. They are supported by the Facilities Department who oversee maintenance and cleaning. No two days in the department are the same and the department embraces the Work Hard, Play Hard ethos. It is a fast paced, dynamic and challenging department that consistently strives to deliver its targets to ensure students at Essex have the best time while here.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
As Deputy Director of Services, you will be responsible for the strategic direction of all student facing operations including Licensed Trade, Catering, Retail, Salon, Lettings, Premises and our operations at the Loughton Campus. You will lead your teams to deliver an outstanding experience for our members.
Reporting to the Director of Services, Activities and Support, you will be the operational lead for all your areas in meeting the targets and driving membership satisfaction. You will ensure that departments are achieving budgets and you will also be a member of the Director Team and will be part of developing and leading strategy across the SU.
· Support, and deputise for as required, the Director of Services, Activities and Support in all aspects of their role
· Provide line management and operational support for all service outlet teams, Retail, Licensed Trade, Catering, Entertainments, Facilities, Lettings and Loughton Campus.
· Assist with the development of strategic plans for service outlets in line with organisational objectives
· Assist with the monitoring and evaluation of strategy implementation throughout service outlets
· Support service outlet teams to set, monitor and meet achievable budget targets
· To develop the services offered by the Union in line with members’ needs
· Build effective networks within the University and externally to promote and develop services offered
· Lead on relevant projects, supporting the implementation of change where appropriate
· Identify, promote and deliver on projects and initiatives within agreed timescales
· Ensure that the work of the service outlets is publicised and celebrated
· To be responsible for the management of all resources including budgets, equipment and stock within your areas
· To carry out regular 121’s appraisals and reviews with all staff that report to you.
· Acting as coach and mentor to all managers in developing skills to effectively manage staff teams
· Acting as a mentor to Sabbatical Officers, including support to achieve goals as well as managing expectations
To keep up-dated with relevant national and local developments and attend staff, departmental meetings, external meetings and conferences as required.
· Maintaining effective relationships with key stakeholders, including local authority, police and local community members
· Representing Essex at local and national events
· All staff will have the opportunity to be involved in key Union projects outside their day to day remit.
– Significant management experience at a senior level in a field relevant to the role
– Holds a professional or management qualification relevant to the role, or is willing to undertake
– Evidence of successfully leading and motivating teams to meet organisational targets
– Significant experience of project management, including chairing meetings, monitoring progress, delivering briefings, evaluation outcomes
– Proven ability to think strategically for a diverse organisation
– Proven ability to build and maintain effective networks with colleagues and stakeholders
– Operational understanding of risk management and compliance in relevant field to the role
– Significant experience of all aspects of Line Management, including recruitment, development and appraisal
– Experience of setting and monitoring budgets
– Ability to ensure organisational compliance with GDPR Regulations
– Excellent written, oral communication and presentation skills, including the ability to communicate at a senior level
– Ability to interpret complex data and scenarios and provide solutions
– Evidence of continuing professional development at a senior level
– Experience analysing and producing financial and statistical reports
– Holder of, or able to hold Premises Supervisor Licence, Personal Licence and SIA licence
– Strong background in setting, monitoring and achieving large scale budgets
– Ability to evidence an understanding of relevant legislation, e.g. Health and Safety, Licensing Law, EHO, EMO
– Willingness to work late nights and weekends as required
– Ability to evidence leading and achieving customer service initiatives
– Understanding of the student market and associated trends
– Understanding of the Higher Education environment in relation to the role
The Students’ Union is committed to Equality and Diversity
WHAT YOU’LL GET
You’ll get to be part of a vibrant and exciting organisation that thinks the place you work should be amazing.
You’ll be joining an unconventional family where everyone is passionate about doing the best for our members and achieving our ambitious vision of becoming the world’s most student-centred organisation.
We believe in creating a workplace where you can be the very best, and if you‘re the sort of person who wants to get stuck in to everything they do, then you’re really going to shine here.
You’ll get a competitive salary starting at £48,114 in return for working an average 35 hours per week, and generous opportunities to take time off. We are looking for someone who is able to work flexibly as hours will fluctuate based on the time of year.
With a generous pension scheme, we’ll invest in your future as well as your present. We offer a comprehensive range of family friendly policies so that you can get that all important work/life balance right. Don’t forget one of our Tattoo’s in Work Hard, Play Hard and we mean it! We’ll even give you your birthday off, for free.
If all this sounds like the sort of the place you want to be a part of then we’re really excited to hear from you.
You find loads more information about who we are and what we do on our website www.essexstudent.com so have a good look, or feel free to give the HR team a call for an informal chat on 01206 863211 before you apply.