AboutWe exist to represent approximately 20,000 students at Anglia Ruskin University (ARU). We are a registered charity and company limited by guarantee. Our activities are managed and supported by 34 professional staff members and 55 part-time student staff who work for us alongside their studies. We have a turnover of approximately £2 million per annum and our activities are spread across campuses in Cambridge, Chelmsford and Peterborough. In addition to our core purpose of being the legitimate representative body for students at ARU, we provide a range of services; academic and welfare advice, support to students running societies and volunteering opportunities in and around the campuses.
ARU Students’ Union are looking to recruit a part-time Adviser to join our team, based on our Chelmsford campus. In this role, you will provide information and support to students on a range of academic and welfare issues.
What you will be doing
- You will be an an active member of Students’ Union Advice team including participating in the bi-annual AQS professional audit
- Providing advice, support and information to our students who may be anxious, distressed and in difficult situations on a range of academic and welfare problems
- Representing and supporting students in panel hearings such as disciplinary, appeals, assessment offences and Fitness to Practice
- Representing and supporting students who wish to submit complaints to the University
- Developing and delivering presentations to students and university staff to inform and raise awareness of academic regulations, professional body requirements and Students’ Union Advice
What we’re looking for
- Experience in delivering advice, information and support
- Experience of working with a non-judgemental focus with a range of clients
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide range of people both within and outside the University, including students, academics and senior management
- Ability to use active listening skills to engage with and advise a diverse range of students
- Ability to establish and ensure compliance with service boundaries, for example regarding referral to other agencies
- Ability to self-reflect and review own practice independently and with other team members
Skills that will help you
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Effective advocacy skills, both written and oral
- Awareness and understanding of the importance of professional boundaries
- Effective organizational skills and able to prioritise work and retain composure in a busy environment working under pressure
- Able to work collaboratively in a small team
- Sympathetic towards pressures facing students
Where will you be working
This role is based on our Chelmsford campus.
Why work for us?
- Generous holiday entitlement (starting at 38 days per year, including Christmas closure and bank holidays)
- A contributory pension scheme
- Comprehensive training and development opportunities
- Discount schemes
- Flexible working policy
About Anglia Ruskin Students’ Union (ARUSU)
ARUSU represents approximately 20,000 students at Anglia Ruskin University (ARU) across campuses in Cambridge, Chelmsford, Peterborough and London. In addition, we provide a range of services; academic and welfare advice, support to students running societies and volunteering opportunities in and around the campuses. Whilst we play an important student representative role that sometimes sees us challenge the University, we work closely with them and support areas of delivery within their strategy.
We are committed to equal opportunities in employment – we welcome applications from all sections of the community.