AboutThe Royal College of Art Students' Union's objects are the advancement of education of students at the Royal College of Art. By promoting the interests and welfare of students at the Royal Village of Art during their course of study by representing, supporting and advising students. The Students' Union is the recognised representative channel between students and the Royal College of Art and any other external bodies, the Union also provides social, cultural, sporting and recreational activities and forums for discussions and debates for the personal development of its members.
You will provide accurate, consistent and innovative administrative support to the SU, which puts students’ experience at the forefront. you will support sabbatical officers in fulfilling their remit and enabling the Union to effectively respond to and deliver the will of its membership as expressed through the policy processes from Board of Trustees, Union Forums, Committees and democratic events.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
● Act as the first point of contact for all enquiries at the Students’ Union, via phone, email and in person.
● To respond to enquiries using learned knowledge of the SU and its services.
● To assist in the design and administration of the framework for collecting student issues from reps.
● To manage all communications from students and reps.
● To Coordinate meetings including forums and workshops and prepare Sabbatical officer and SU meeting minutes from recordings.
● To administer the progress of all Students’ Union campaigns.
● To administer all website and social media platform updates with the Engagement Officer.
● To support and coordinate weekly events together with the Engagement and Events Officer.
● To collect RCASU deliveries and post informing the relevant recipients.
● To undertake any administrative tasks that are deemed relevant to the working of the Students’ Union.
● To actively engage with all visitors whilst on duty to create conversations and to clearly communicate and promote RCASU and its activities.
● To comply with all RCASU’s policies and procedures
● To ensure that all Students’ Union procedures and policies are readily accessible and available to all.
● To attend training and meetings in order to be familiar with all relevant procedures.
● To assist in the safe evacuation of the premises as directed and within established procedures.
● Undertake minor manual handling and event logistics for SU events, such as moving stock, table etc.
Experience, Qualifications and Training
● Level 2 qualifications which demonstrate proven numeracy and literacy skills (e.g. GCSE Maths and English) or equivalent
● Ability to use MSL and proficient in the use of Microsoft Office packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Email)
● A proven track record in providing administrative and/or reception support to a high standard, ideally to committees and volunteers
● Experience of working to deadlines
● Experience of cash handling in a working or volunteering environment
● Experience of promoting events and activities
● Experience of providing excellent customer service dealing directly with internal and or external clients/customers
Values, Skills and Ability
● Understanding of the need for confidentiality
● Strong organisational skills and the ability to work to deadlines
● Good interpersonal skills on phone and confidence to initiate and engage in conversations
● Reliable, enthusiastic and adaptable
● To be flexible and willing to support colleagues across the SU.
● Willing and able to work in a student led democratic environment
● Excellent customer care, oral & written communication skills
● Ability to work under pressure and to prioritise workload, working on your own initiative without close supervision on routine processes
● Ability to maintain administrative systems