AboutWe are here to make student life better. Whether that’s getting involved with our societies and sports, representing your student voice, providing academic advice and support or helping students gain valuable employability skills by working and volunteering with us. We make sure that University of Brighton’s students’ experience is the best it can be by providing them with plenty of opportunities to get involved and graduate with more than just a degree.
Brighton Students’ Union (BSU) provides representation, support and services to the 19,000 students studying at the University of Brighton, with a mission of Making Student Life Better. The marketing and communications team ensure effective and timely information is sent to and from students and other stakeholders across physical and online channels. This includes marketing commercial and membership activities.
BSU are a flexible and inclusive employer, and would consider part time, flexible and job share requests
Post Marketing and Communications Manager
Hours 37 per week
Responsible to Chief Executive
Responsible for Marketing and Communications Team
Responsible for delivering high quality and impactful marketing and communications across all physical sites and online channels, to increase student awareness and engagement with Brighton Students’ Union services and activities.
Marketing and Communications
• Ensure all BSU’s marketing and communication channels are up to date, relevant and engaging.
• Develop and deliver a marketing strategy and communications strategy to support BSU’s strategic plan.
• Maintain up to date knowledge on emerging trends and technologies in communication methods.
• Be the contact for the external website host, and ensure the content is up to date, compliant and accessible.
• Regularly review branding and brand awareness, ensuring compliance across departments.
• Train and support elected officers with their marketing and communication responsibilities.
• Work closely with all department managers to devise and deliver effective marketing of their activities.
• Ensure use of relevant communication channels to achieve a maximum reach to potential and current students.
• Establish and maintain strong partnerships with relevant University departments and external partners.
• Be the key initial contact for all press enquiries, working with the CEO to ensure adherence to the media policy.
• Prepare detailed analytics reports on marketing and communication activities.
• Organise BSU marketing activities for University Open Days and Applicant Days.
• Maintain good awareness of GDPR to ensure compliance in all areas of marketing and communication.
• Responsible for the recruitment, induction and ongoing training of all team members, in close liaison with the HR Department.
• Carry out team member’s formal and informal performance reviews.
• Responsible for departmental budget income and expenditure.
• Devise and deliver Annual Operational Plans for the team.
• Ensure any HR issues relating to staff members are dealt with promptly and reported to the HR department – seeking guidance when appropriate.
• Be an active member of the Management team and provide constructive input into activities which fall outside of the remit of the role.
• Be a leader and positive role model to staff and students.
• Act as a representative for BSU within the University community.
• Work in a manner which reflects the values and democratic structure of the Union as shown in the Union’s Articles and Strategic Plan.
• Keep up-to-date with relevant legislation, policies and practices, rules and regulations relevant to the role.
• Adhere to all BSU policies and procedures.
• Ensure the delivery of a positive image of the Union, both internally and externally by displaying high standards of professionalism, politeness, conduct and service.
• Undertake such other duties as may reasonably be expected given the incumbent’s qualifications and experience.
• Participate in and take ownership of their induction, personal development plan, departmental staff meetings and be responsible for undertaking duties with full regard for others within the conditions of employment detailed in the Staff Handbook.
• Assist in key events and activities throughout the year eg open days, Freshers’ week, Elections and sustainability activities as required.
This role will primarily be based at the Moulsecoomb Campus, with regular travel to other campus locations as required in the provision of the duties for the position.