AboutThe University of Birmingham Guild of Students is a charity and the students’ union for more than 36,000 students. We represent our members to the University and other organisations on the issues that matter to students most. We also exist to help students develop skills outside of study, have fun, meet people and make sure their time at Birmingham is special.
Post Title: Democracy Coordinator
Responsible to: Student Voice Manager
Responsible for: Student Representative Volunteers and a small student staff team
Summary of post: To work in a team responsible for the delivery of the Guild’s democratic and policy processes, ensuring they are successful, engaging and accessible for students. This includes supporting our decision making mechanisms, Guild Elections, accountability structures and Guild committees. You will also provide support to elected volunteers and Guild officers ensuring that Guild members are represented professionally and successfully.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To work with the Student Voice Manager to ensure excellent democratic systems are in place at the Guild of Students
- To administrate and coordinate the Guild’s democratic systems, supporting student engagement, planning key democratic dates and assisting with evaluation of the systems.
- To work with the Student Voice Manager to organise and deliver Guild Elections, providing administrative support, delivering training sessions and developing expertise in relevant regulations.
- To be responsible for the administration of Guild committees when required, including preparation of agendas, attendance at meetings, drafting of minutes and actions arising, and support of volunteer committee members.
- To co-ordinate the training and support of elected student representatives within democratic structures and systems.
- To keep up to date with developments in democracy and policy in the student movement to inform the role and inform the development of the Guild’s policy process.
- To help create and maintain accessible information systems on Guild policies, committees and legislation, which will act as a central source of information for the Guild team, elected student officers and student groups.
- To proactively investigate issues and brief student officers and staff colleagues, using own initiative and in response to requests for information.
- To prepare written and verbal briefings on developments in the field and in relation to relevant University and Guild committees.
- To maintain and develop constructive debriefing structures with officers and staff after meetings and ensure knowledge is effectively maintained and communicated within the organisation.
- To actively assist and support officers and staff to create action plans from University and local community meetings so the Guild proactively respond to issues on behalf of students.
- To work with the Student Voice Manager and Officer Team in the support of campaigns related to students at the University of Birmingham through such means as research, tool kits and coordination of activities.
- To develop effective relationships with relevant local and national educational, campaigning and representational organisations.
- To work closely with the wider Guild team to support and enhance student representation, and engage members in representation functions of the Guild of Students.
- To undertake appropriate training and personal development as required for the role.
- To identify improvements and recommend these to the Student Voice Manager for consideration.
- To adhere to all relevant Guild policy with particular reference to staffing, health and safety, environmental, and any relevant Guild Policy where it may impact upon your role.
- To participate as a member of Student Voice, Membership and Guild team.
- To support the work of the Student Voice team, where necessary, in the event of sickness, holiday or other exceptional circumstances.
- To portray a positive image of the Guild both internally and externally, and set high standards of personal integrity and professionalism, leading by personal example.
- To undertake such other duties as may be reasonably required, consistent with the nature and grade of the post.